xxvii. ogden and the gaunts

Start from the beginning

Deanna finally stopped running when she was a good distance away from the library. She panted and banged her head against the wall lightly. "Why? Why? Why?"

"Why are you banging your head here, looking like a crazy person?" A voice from behind her made her jump and she looked behind her to see that it was only Ron with a broom in hand.

Deanna took in a deep breath and smiled at him. "Hey, Ron. It's nothing, just my stupid mouth."

"Why? Did you say something?" Ron asked with concern. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I am. Just..." Deanna put a hand to her heart that she realized was beating too fast until now. Of all the things she could say, she just had to compare Hermione to a princess. It wasn't like she was lying, but still... How could she be that careless?

"Hey, Ron." Deanna suddenly said. "Do you think Hermione would like a stuffed toy? Her birthday's coming up soon."

"Oh, Dee." Ron ruffled her hair good-naturedly. "If it's from you, Hermione would like it. Even if you gave her parchment, it would be fine for her."

"Really?" Deanna smiled slightly at that, but remembering their last Potions class made her frown. "But doesn't she like someone?"

"I don't know." Ron smirked when there was slight hope on Deanna's face. "Why don't you ask her? Maybe, you'll get an answer you like."

"W-What?" Deanna stuttered, her cheeks getting redder because she suddenly imagined Hermione telling her that she liked Deanna. It made her heart speed up once more. "What are you saying?"

"It's obvious, Dee. You like Hermione." Ron's words made Deanna blush even more if that was possible. "It's not like you're trying to hide it anyways."

"W-What?"

"What I mean is... we know you like Hermione." Ron started carefully. He didn't want to scare off Deanna. "And maybe, you should take a chance and tell her what you feel."

"I-I... don't know." Deanna let out a sigh and slid down the wall.

"Hey, I'm not telling you to confess now." Ron patted her on the shoulder gently. "I just wanted to tell you that you can tell her when you're ready. It's not easy to tell someone what you feel."

"You're right. Thanks, Ron." Deanna nudged him affectionately. "So when are you going to tell Eleanor what you really feel for her?"

Ron froze for a moment and this time, he was the one letting out a sigh. "I don't know, Deanna. I don't think she likes me that way."

"Why not?" Deanna frowned at that.

"I mean, she's dating Seamus Finnigan now." Ron frowned and shook his head. "I've never told anyone, but I do like her. I-I'm in love with her." His eyes widened and he looked at Deanna with surprise. "I'm in love with her."

"Yeah, you are." Deanna squeezed his shoulder in reassurance. She knew that it was hard to realize what you felt for someone after all this time. So she stood up and reached out a hand to the frozen Ron. "How about we talk it over a game of Quidditch, yeah?"

"Yeah, thanks Dee." Ron took her hand and gave her a grateful hug. He may have been shocked by what he had just realized, but he had Deanna to talk to. And maybe, this was what he needed to finally tell Eleanor Edmonton what he felt for her since they were children.