Chapter 43: Mother Knows Best

Ah the garden. The beautiful garden that she had dreamed of playing in practically her entire childhood. It's funny to think that this was the same garden she used to look at through her windows at night, dreaming that she had the freedom to play and frolic like all of the other little girls did in the books she read. The different types of flowers that took the beautiful appearance of a rainbow on land and the little bees and ladybugs that spent their entire lives there. Lucy had always wanted to leave the four walls she was practically trapped in from sundown to sunset, wishing that for just a mere minute she could be able to pick flowers and be like all the little girls in the books who seemed to have endless fun. Yeah. A garden.

'If only I knew how small this garden was compared to the real world' Lucy thought to herself as she followed her mother into the broken stone path.

"I remember you always asking me if you could pick flowers," Layla said with a chuckle, "I thought what an innocent child. I thought you had already gotten rid all that childishness with the training your father conducted."

"Don't try to talk about those times. I have nothing to say to you about that," Lucy firmly stated, stopping in her tracks. She knew that her mother intended to carry on a century long story, avoiding giving her any kind of information she came for in the first place.

"Oh come on my dear Lucy, you never visit anymore. Isn't a mother supposed to care about her child and want to talk to her?" Layla said with a smile as she made her way to a wooden bench decorated with lush green vines.

"The only thing I acknowledge is that you gave birth to me. My connection to you ends there. We both know why," Lucy stated as she made her way to an opposing bench, freed of any vines or greenery growing on it.

"What your father and I did was only to help you becomes stronger. How else are we supposed to carry on the family business?" Layla asked.

"I wouldn't consider us a family mother, since we're all apart now. Why is that exactly?" Lucy asked, not even trying to conceal a small smirk that started to spread across her cheeks, "is it a family business when the wife cheats on the husband?"

"Did you come here because of that Dragneel boy?" Layla asked, completely disregarding what Lucy had asked her.

"Oh now you want to talk about why I'm here," Lucy said as she slightly laid back in amusement, "does the uptight Layla Heartfilia have something that breaks that fake perfect view that she tries o-so hard to keep?"

"You need to stay away from that Dragneel-boy. He's a bad influence, Lucy I know that you hold no positive feelings when I tell you this but you're more safe around me rather than him. Dare I say probably more safe with your father if you could," Layla sternly stated, trying hard to make Lucy understand the seriousness of the situation.

"Why is that? And if he was so bad why did you go and attack him and his base like that. That all makes no sense. You're just trying to get me to work for you again. I'm not talking about this again. You shouldn't ever consider yourself a mother. I've told you that I've ended this relationship since the day I left. Even with the whole incident with Sting I thought you wouldn't learnt your lesson, but then you go and send him to where I live. The next time you try to meddle in my business..." Lucy bursted as she finally got up and started walking back towards the entrance of the garden, "...you will never even get the chance to breathe the same air I do..." Lucy stopped and tilted her head back towards her mother, "...even if it means death. Me or you. Whichever comes first."

"The Dragneel-boy. It's his father that I had an affair with. Lucy believe me when I tell you. He's a dangerous man." Layla explained just as Lucy was almost one step out of the door, "and I also know the real reason why you attended that school in the first place too. Even though you're my daughter, you're more of an idiot than I expected. Trust me, that dragneel-boy will not want you back anymore. Now come sit down and talk to your mother like a good girl. I do know best."