{100k Special} Caught in a Storm (Dragoness X Female Furdrake/Reader)

~Part 2/2 of my 100k special~

This was requested by DragonsSingingSoflty. Hope this is OK.

Thanks for the 100k reads, My Dragonlings!

---------------------

I trotted through the white landscape, cold air whipping at my white fur. Hibernation was right around the corner for me, and I needed to find some food. So I made the most of what sunlight the North Pole is getting at the moment and went hunting.

I lowered my head to the ground, sniffing for any trails. Nothing.

I looked up. Looming in the horizon was a dark open sea and several icebergs, but directly ahead of me was a snowy valley with a drop so deep I'd have to climb down the walls of ice. I walked over to the edge of the cliff and looked down.

The snow far below blended in with the snow beneath my claws, looking like I could walk right onto it without falling hundreds of metres.

But I knew otherwise.

I looked at my claw and flexed it, watching my sharp talons clink together. I nodded approvingly and bent over, my front claws gripping the ice. Shimming my legs closer to the edge, I gripped the ice. I edged my way down the wall, my claws gripping the ice easily; as every snow furdrake's should. The problem was keeping my balance, so I didn't fall forward and injure myself.

I had grown used to this climb to the icebergs; I did it at least twice a month when the fishing hole is frozen over. But it was still inconvenient.

Above me, I heard heavy wingbeats. I looked up. An ice dragon flew above me, gliding effortlessly over the valley while I climbed.

I followed them as they flew, a pang of jealousy running through me.

"Why couldn't the Creators give us wings as well?" I muttered to myself as I continued my descent. Snow furdrakes have always been jealous of ice dragons because of this. The dragons never had to hibernate, they lived in groups—or clans as they called them, and they had the mighty wings so they could soar over these mighty valleys and swoop down into the ocean to catch prey we would spend hours hunting and wounding. And what really got under our fur was how easy it was for them to do it.

On the upside, at least we can swim well in water, we can hold our breaths for hours at a time, we can see in the dark and our paws are wide so we don't sink into the snow, unlike certain dragons.

It was a long climb, but I eventually my head was right above the valley floor. I detached from the wall and stood on the snow. The wind had gotten stronger since I had been on top of the wall, and the sky had gotten darker.

"Great," I spat. I huffed and ran to the other side of the valley. There was a small cave at the base of the cliff. Usually, other furdrakes are there, but today it was empty. I shivered as the strong wind carried snow into the frozen cave.

In the middle of the snow was a blue, enchanted flame that would never go out to keep any visitors warm and so the cave wouldn't freeze over. There was a small cranny to the side with a small enchanted chest. Anytime a furdrake went hunting, they'd grab something extra to leave in the chest so others could eat if they were stranded here. And the chest was enchanted to keep the food as fresh as possible.

I settled down beside the fire, curling up and watching the flames flicker as the wind grew stronger. A blizzard was whipping up.

I dropped my ears and looked in frightened awe. "That better have passed by morning." I knew I shouldn't have left my last hunt of the season so close to hibernation. I thumped my tail against the snow in frustration before wrapping it close to me.