(Dungeons and Dragons) Fire Power (Inferno & Female Dragonblood Sorcerer/Reader)

Requested by Azureman136 and written with the help of RoseLupaTW

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

R/O/C = Race of choice (elf, human, [whatever else DnD has])

I don't think I've ever done such exhausting work to learn more about magic, but I'd exhausted all other research. No one, no living sorcerer, knew what I needed, knew the whole extent of Fire Magic. No one was that well-trained. No scroll nor book had it either. Only one being was known to have the knowledge of how powerful Fire Magic could be.

And I had to find him. In this mighty mountain range.

The problem came with how to find him. No one had seen him in the area. And the rumour of his "cave full of treasure" was completely fake—it was bare, minus the countless booby traps and dead bodies.

But there was hope—maybe. A traveller I'd met, dirty and exhausted, in a tavern in Calling Horns, told a tale of a portal that led into open fields, full of herds with no man to hunt them. Though I wondered if he had been a hallucinating, even he wondered it, I imagined it looked so out of place among the Star Mounts.

"It reminded me of my home," he said. "On the opposite side of the continent. So maybe I dreamt it. I was cold and exhausted, very homesick. I was on my way to Karse, so maybe it was the old gates? But... it might've been in a cave either. Everything was dark... Truly I don't know what I saw, for I'd not seen those plains up close. The oxen were almost touchable..."

After that I stopped listening. He rambled and drank; I had all the information I needed. Even if it was near to nothing to go on.

The worst part was trying to reserve strength for the climb. The mountains were nearly vertical; a cyclone with a huge tree-rocking radius surrounded the peaks. I collapsed when I entered the eye of the storm. It was so peaceful within its windy walls, I almost fell asleep... maybe I did.

The mountain range was hard to traverse, for both its upright climbs and its lack of mapping. Not many adventures had made it past the cyclone; even fewer left it alive. And with such a stressful journey between mountain and forest, no one had enough time and energy to detail its trails, slopes or where the portal was located.

I made my way to, and stood at, the tallest peak, Mount Angoroth, in the entrance to the lair of a dragon Inferno had defeated—whose name is completely unknown. He'd never used the cave, instead letting adventurers risk it all in the booby traps for naught.

I peered off into the distance, watching the killer cyclone and calm trees. My soul felt serene, my body loose and my mind free of all cares. Except that's why I was not here, I was here for my biggest care in the world. I had to put this dragon blood use, to make my grandmother proud for choosing a ballsy (R/O/C) over a dragon. I sat in the cave entrance, feet dangling over the edge of the huge mountain.

All it would take is one push—one leaning forward, one mis-shift of my weight—and I'd be a crumbled heap panned out on the rocky ground far below. It made my heart tingle and my lips smirk. How exciting!

Then I descended onto the next mountain, and the next, and so on until I reached the one farthest east—the closest one to the ruins of Karse. It seemed like the best place to start searching. As I made my way, I glimpsed a number of caves with a sparkle of gold and rubies. Inferno was very practical with his placement of treasure; no one would ever find it all. Very impressive.

"Damn smart dragon..." I leaned on the wall of the cave at the base, heaving softly. After travelling for three days around these mountains, I was frustrated and exhausted.