What If I?

Felix Alexander's POV

"Lead poisoning it is" June smacks down the recently received medical report of Senator Farrugia on the table. Ramsey picks up the file and intently studies it.

"The question is, how?" I say thoughtfully.

"Lead poisoning is uncommon these days in adults. I'm sure he lives in a posh community and there's hardly a chance of lead contamination in the area's water" Baz suggests.

He's right, but obviously, the lead has been entering his system somehow. If not water, then what?

"A survey is needed to be sure" Ramsey states, looking dissatisfied.

"You mean we go and check if the water in the area is polluted or not?" June asks.

Ramsey nods "Something like that. We need to simply check the water supply of his home"

Home. How else can he be consuming lead while he's at home?

"The paint!" Jackpot!

"What?" Baz asks, confused.

I grin with excitement of my newly created hypothesis and explain "Remember, the leading cause of lead poisoning in toddlers is the paint on their home's walls. Vintage houses often contain old paint which utilised Lead as a major component for a great texture! I haven't checked but-"

"Farrugia does live in a house that was built in 1885" June raises her eyes from her phone's screen and gives me an impressed smile.

"There you go" I say, happily.

"This could be it... maybe he has been inhaling the lead vapors from the paint on his house's walls. However..." Ramsey continues "An inspection is necessary".

Of course it is. We will check both, the water supply to Farrugia's place and the walls of his house.

"Any volunteers for the inspection?" asks Ramsey.

Before I know it, my hand is already raised in the air and a 100 watt grin on my face. Ramsey smiles at me for a few seconds, seeing my child-like enthusiasm and then gets up from his chair "Alright then, Alexander and Hirata will go and check it out".

I turn my head sideways to see June lowering her previously raised hand. We exchange knowing smiles.

"I'm driving though" she waves the keys in front of my face while heading out.

"Fine, I'll go get the testing equipment from the lab" I shrug.

"Hey, since you two are going out. Could you bring me some Wendy's?" Baz asks me in a secretive whisper.

"Bad taste, Baz and nope, we're not" June replies while exiting from the door.

Baz gazes at me pleadingly. "Sorry, Baz. Helpless here. Whatever the lady says" I reply apologetically. Baz slouches and sighs exaggeratedly. Then, he leaves, stomping his feet like a little kid.

---

"Could you remain seated for a sec?" I request June once she stops the car in front of the Senator's mansion.

"Yeah, why?" she asks in return.

I consider not replying and get out of the car. Once she sees me turning to the left, towards her side, she laughs and covers her eyes with her hand, embarrassed.

I open the car's door for her and then offer her my hand.

"You're such a dork!" she chuckles, taking it and I help her out of the car.