xviii. the flight of the dumbledores

Start from the beginning

"So," sneered Fudge, recovering himself, "you intend to take on Dawlish, Shacklebolt, Dolores, and myself singlehanded, do you, Dumbledores?"

"Merlin's beard, no," said Dumbledore, smiling. "Not unless you are foolish enough to force us to."

"They will not be single-handed!" said Minerva loudly.

"Oh yes they will, Minerva!" said Dumbledore sharply. "Hogwarts needs you!"

"Enough of this rubbish!" said Fudge, pulling out his own wand. "Dawlish! Shacklebolt! Take him!" Deanna and Dumbledore nodded at each other before they waved their wands, and silver lights flashed around the room. Deanna stunned Umbridge with a non-verbal spell, and the toad went flying to one of the walls.

"No!" Fudge cried when Dumbledore hit him with one of his spells.

"Ignis Rugiet!" shouted Deanna, and Dawlish's eyes widened when the fireball hit him. He fell to the ground unconscious. Some of the portraits yelled, Fawkes screeched and there was a cloud of dust from where Deanna's fireballs had hit the room.

"Are you all right, love?" said Dumbledore, running to her.

"I'm fine, Pops. You?"

"Just well," said Dumbledore, stroking her hair. "I'm proud of you, little phoenix, but we have to go. Go pack your stuff." Deanna nodded and ran up to her room. Dumbledore bought her a bag for Christmas that she could use whenever she needed to run.

"Pack." She waved her wand and her stuff immediately went to the bag. She decided to write a little note before she ran back down and saw Dumbledore talking to Harry while Fawkes soared in circles above them, singing softly.

Minerva ran over to her and hugged her tight. "Oh, Deanna, we'll miss you dearly."

"I will too, Minnie," said Deanna, smiling at her. "Take care of Hogwarts while we're gone. We'll come back."

"I know you will, dear," said Minerva, patting her cheek lightly. Deanna hugged her one more time before going to Harry and Dumbledore.

"Listen to me, Harry," Dumbledore said urgently, "you must study Occlumency as hard as you can, do you understand me? Do everything Professor Snape tells you and practice it particularly every night before sleeping so that you can close your mind to bad dreams — you will understand why soon enough, but you must promise me —"

When Dawlish stirred, Dumbledore seized Harry's wrist. "Remember — close your mind — you will understand."

Deanna's eyes widened when she saw a flash of red in Harry's eyes, but she gave him a quick hug anyways. "I'm always with you, Harry."

"And I, Deanna." Harry said and smiled slightly, understanding what she said. Even if they never talked about it, they knew they would always be walking the Department of Mystery together.

Picking up her bag, Deanna stood beside Dumbledore, who smiled at her. "We'll be fulfilling one of your wishes now, love."

Deanna's eyes twinkled at him. "Really?"

"Yes," chuckled Dumbledore. Fawkes circled the office once more. As Dumbledore wrapped an arm around Deanna's waist, he raised his other hand and grasped the phoenix's long golden tail. There was a flash of fire and the trio were gone. Just like phoenixes, the Dumbledores had taken their flight.

Deanna, Dumbledore and Fawkes appeared in a place Deanna remembered they visited often when she was a child. "We're back, Pops," she said softly. They were back in their old house at the Mould-of-the-Wold.

"Go on inside, love," said Dumbledore and he raised his wand and started casting enchantments around the place.

"Come on, Fawkes," said Deanna excitedly and she ran inside the house. She chuckled slightly when it was just as she remembered fifty years ago. It seemed that Dumbledore did not abandon the house at all.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, phoenix," said Dumbledore, coming in the house. "We had no choice."

"It's fine, Pops," said Deanna, wrapping her arms around his tall figure. "There's nowhere else I'd rather be than right beside you. I'm staying with you the whole time, Pops." Dumbledore smiled softly at his daughter and hugged her tight. Fawkes joined their hug with a cry and squeezed into the middle. Sure, they weren't at Hogwarts anymore, which they both considered their homes, but for the Dumbledores, home was not a place. It was each other.

Dumbledore excused himself to buy them some food. While he went out, Deanna stroked Fawkes' feathers and started thinking about her friends. How were they? Were they all right? She thought of the other members, hoping none of them would experience the Blood Quill. They were far too young to experience that. She thought of her Hufflepuff friends and sighed. She wouldn't want them to be punished like that. They were one of the first to tell her they believed her.

She thought of the Weasley children, apologizing in her mind to all her friends. She just hoped that their departure would be enough to protect them from Umbridge. She thought of Harry and hoped he wouldn't be get his hand scarred anymore. She hoped he wouldn't feel guilty at all because this was their choice, and it wasn't his fault. She thought of Hermione and remembered the worried look on her face. Deanna held a hand to her heart and sighed. Her heart had hurt so much when she thought of Hermione having her hand scarred. Deanna would get expelled, arrested or anything before she would let Dolores Umbridge hurt Hermione Granger or any of them.

"That's my promise, Fawkes," said Deanna, a fire in her eyes. "She won't hurt any of them."

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•