A Town Hall Meeting Gone Wrong

Screaming.

Shouting over each other.

Visible veins.

It isn't just the werewolves who are angry.

"Calm down." Mayor Li tries to settle the crowd. "Everything is under control."

"Are you in contact with Secretary Wilkinson?" a citizen asks.

"Of course," the Mayor replies.

"And what does he suggest?" another citizen asks. "Doing nothing?"

"We are doing plenty behind the scenes," the mayor explains. "Everything is under control."

Autumn, Marty, Carter, Tori, Con, Eddie, and Amber watch from the back.

Con stands up.

"What are you doing?" Eddie asks.

"Mayor Li," he begins. "There have been two attacks in six months. The shield has been up for more than that. Other towns are being attacked as well. We need a game plan. This isn't WWII. Turning off the lights and locking doors is a standard lockdown drill in schools across America."

"I hear your concerns," the mayor says. "What do you advise?"

"We need to be prepared," Con says. "We can't wait it out. The Anti-Magic Group is pissed for some reason. We need a solution. You need to protect your citizens."

"I thought I was," the mayor says through clenched teeth. "Unless you want to wolf out on them yourself." There are visible gasps from the audience. Carter's face falls. "I'm sorry. That was inappropriate. We will create a task force and a neighborhood watch. The town's police force will be on high alert."

"All ten of them?" Con asks. "Three of them are in their sixties."

"What else do you want from me?" the mayor asks.

"We need training," Con says. "We can't use the shield forever. The Anti-Magic Group has been working on breaking through the shield for generations. That can happen at any time. We have to know what to do if it does happen."

~

"I can't believe my father said that to you," Carter says.

"Makes you wonder what he'll say next," Con says. "Maybe something about your half-vampire, half-human friends."

"Do you really want to fight the humans?" Autumn asks.

"I want to protect my home and my community," Con answers. "Don't you? We need as many people we can get."

"It's not that simple," Eddie says.

"If a human was coming after you, you would just let them kill you?" Con asks.

"Self-defense is different," Eddie says. "I'm not playing offense."

"Neither am I," Con says. "Something big is going to happen. They want us off-guard. Trust me. They'll break through the shield."