A Broken Heart

"Your sister is working with your dad and they're after several people in this town?" Carter asks. Amber nods. "I can't arrest them without due process."

"I know," Amber says. "I want to warn Eddie. He needs to break up with her."

"It might be a little late for that," Carter says. "He's going to propose. He asked for your father's blessing and everything."

"Shit," Amber says. "We have to stop him!"

~

"Eddie, I think you're a great guy."

"Eddie, it's only been a year and a half."

"Eddie, I'm only twenty-three."

"Eddie, I'm not ready to get married."

"Eddie!" Con calls. "Sabrina! I brought a girl home! Do not disturb! Eddie? Sabrina?"

He spots the ring box on the coffee table. He notices Fall Out Boy music from Eddie's room.

"You have to go."

"Go where?" the blonde asks.

"I don't know," he answers. "You have to leave."

She frowns.

"You're missing out," she says. "I'm a yoga instructor." He sighs. She slams the door.

"Eddie." He knocks on the door.

"Go away!"

He opens the door and finds Eddie, lying on the bed.

"You poor, poor boy." He sits on the edge of the bed. "What were you thinking? Why didn't you consult me?"

"Because you don't think anyone should get married until they're forty," Eddie answers.

"I could've saved you a lot of pain and embarrassment," Con says.

"She's all yours," Eddie says.

"Is that what she said?" Con asks. "I'm leaving you for Con?"

Eddie sits up.

"No, but you usually take my ex-girlfriends," Eddie points out.

"Was there a baby?" Con asks.

"No," Eddie answers.

"She's eight years younger than us," Con points out. "She wants to enjoy her twenties. You don't need her." He pulls on his arm. "Get up. Let's go to the bar."

There's a knock at the door. They look at each other. Con gets up, goes to the living room, and answers it.

"Where's Eddie?" Amber asks.

"In his room," Con answers.

"Where's Sabrina?" Carter asks.

"Who knows?" Con answers. "Eddie proposed and she said no. She's long gone by now." Amber sighs. "Why?"

"No reason," Amber says.

"We're about to head to the bar if you want to join us," Con tells them.

"Sure," Amber agrees.

~

"Carter and Amber can't stop making googly eyes at each other," Con says. "They probably make the most sense. More sense than Amber and me or you and Amber." He pauses. "I'm sorry Eddie. I know you loved her." Con puts his hand on Eddie's arm. "But you need to find someone new. You can't do your usual. I'm going to be sad for one to two years and focus on my career."

"Amber focused on her career and she worked with Secretary Wilkinson," Eddie points out. "She's still working for him."

"She's also working for Carter," Con says. "Next time at least date someone magical."

"No promises," Eddie says.