Amber Returns

Five miles to Lilac Valley.

Five miles until Amber would be back.

It had been almost ten years.

Ten years since she saw everyone.

Ten years since one of her biggest secrets.

Here she is driving through Westchester with her ten-year-old son.

She promised that she would call Autumn.

She had not talked to her in ten years.

The stretch of houses passes by. Houses she used to see every day.

"Unwritten" comes on. She wants to sing along, but there's a chance her son might make fun of her for it. He is at that age.

"You're going to love it," Amber says.

"I can't wait to see where you grew up," Kyle admits.

"I haven't been back since I was pregnant with you," Amber says.

"Am I going to meet my dad?" Kyle asks.

"Maybe," Amber answers.

~

When did their apartment turn into Sesame Street central?

It is always on TV.

Elmo and Big Bird are lying on the couch.

Winter skips around the house, singing "Elmo's World."

To be honest, Marty and Autumn love it.

~

Con and Eddie have lived together for six years. Ever since they graduated college. Con counted down the days until he could move out of his childhood home. Living with his best friend for the last six years is the most fun he has ever had, even if Eddie is constantly looking for "the one" in all the wrong places.

No rules. Just two twenty-eight year olds living their best lives, except for two of Eddie's significant others over the years.

Con's father always hoped his son would become a minister like him, but it was never in the cards. His dream was always to be a New York City cop. Eddie, on the other hand, is a dental resident.

Whenever Con is not at work or on a date, he sits on the couch, watching sports or sitcoms with a beer.

"Are you going to sit there all day?" Eddie asks. "Some humans are joining the board this week. Amber's moving back today."

"I know," Con says.

"Are you coming to lunch?" Eddie asks.

"Should I?" Con asks.

"Why shouldn't you?" Eddie asks. "That was in high school. It's over. Get over yourself." He goes around the couch and pulls on Con's arm. Con shoves him away.

"I can get up myself," Con says. He stands. "Let me get changed." He goes to his bedroom.

~

Ten years earlier Amber left without a reason.

She didn't finish the school year in Lilac Valley.

She went home.

No one knew why.

Not even Autumn.

Con remembers the last time he saw Amber. Amber standing in the doorway of Autumn's family mansion. She had on a navy-blue coat and beige hat. Her long wavy blonde hair fell around her shoulders.

"I don't understand," Con said. "Don't leave because of me."

"I don't want you to end your friendship because of me," Amber said. "I can't be around any of you. I don't want Autumn or Marty to know any of this. I don't want to bring scandal to the Greenberg family name. I thought you didn't like humans."

"I got to know you," Con said.

"Goodbye Con," she said.