A Job Offer

"I'm pregnant!" Autumn announces. "Two months."

"Congratulations!" Amber exclaims.

"I'll be taking next year off," she continues. "The baby is due in September."

"Does Winter know she'll be a big sister?" Amber asks.

"Not yet," Autumn answers. "We'll let her know when I start showing."

Amber's phone rings. She excuses herself from the table.

"Hello?"

"This is Secretary Wilkinson. I have a job for you. Start date: four months. Come to D.C."

"I'll think about," she tells him and hangs up. She looks over at the table of old friends, who have become new friends. She wants to see where things go with Con. She wants this to be over. She wants all this to be over. She calls him back. "I'll take it."

~

"I lied," Amber says. "Eddie is not your father."

"I know," Kyle says. "I'm half-werewolf. It's obviously Con. Why didn't you tell me? Is there something wrong with Con?"

"No, honey," Amber answers.

"I like a lot of the same things he does," Kyle points out. "Music, cars, sports. I wish I could dress like him."

Amber looks at him.

"I remind you of him, don't I?" Kyle asks. "But you two are together now. We can be a family."

"It's complicated," Amber says. "I was offered a job by Secretary Wilkinson in D.C. It starts at the end of June. A long-distance relationship would be complicated."

"But I want a relationship with him," Kyle says. "He's my dad. You seem happy together. You have to at least try."