In this Together

Amber and Carter wait in Aster's motel room.

They hold hands.

Aster returns with a potion. Pink liquid in two cups.

She hands them the mixtures.

They look at each other and gulp it down.

~

"This one's pretty." Amber runs her fingers along a pink wand with rhinestones.

"You don't pick a wand because it's pretty," Carter informs her. She takes a case from the shelf below and hands it to her boyfriend. "Fine."

"The Spiders don't seem like a big problem," Amber says. "Just my father and the Anti-Magic Group. I can't believe no one ever found Sabrina. Is that more dangerous or less?"

"We're going to have to imprison your father," Carter tells her.

"I know," Amber says. "I have one more secret. I have another sister."

"What?" Carter asks.

"Three years younger than Sabrina," Amber says. "Same mom as Sabrina. She left after Lila was born."

"Anyone else we should worry about?" Amber shakes her head.

~

"Will you marry me?"

"After everything you know about me?" Amber asks.

"I love you Amber Jones, even if your mother covers for Spiders and father and sisters are Magic Catchers," Carter says. "You're not. We're in this together. You and me. We're going to fix this." He waits.

"Yes." Amber nods. "I will marry you." Carter smiles. He slips the ring on her finger. He stands up and kisses her.