I can't

As he felt Kristen's warm, soft skin on his, her mouth whispering into his ear, her breathing getting quicker, something inside of his head began to scream. It screamed her name.

Stephanie, Stephanie, Stephanie.

And he shook his head.

“I can't..”, he mumbled.

“I'm sorry... but I can't. I can't. I can't do it!”, he repeated over and over again, his voice getting stronger, his hands leaving the warmth of her body.

“It's okay, Lindsey.. You don't cheat on her. I'm here..”, she whispered in his ear and tried to kiss him again.

He shook his head, so she couldn't reach his lips.

“Kristen, I can't! I just can't!”, he freed himself from her embrace and pushed her away.

She looked up at him in horror. She felt so humiliated as she lay there half naked in front of him.

“I have to go!”, he said, not even glancing once at her as he rushed out of her apartment.

Twenty minutes later, he was back at his place. He had taken a cap.

He sat down on the couch and sighed deeply. He wished that had never happened. He and Kristen had been really good friends, now he had lost her, too. He was sure she would never want to see him again.

After two more hours of staring into the darkness, he fell to sleep.

Sara sat on the balcony of her grandmother's house. It was 4 am in the morning but she couldn't sleep. Her thoughts were with her mother and she felt sorry for what she had said to her – it was true, though. She knew Lindsey was still somewhere out there, hopefully still grieving for her just as Stevie was grieving for him.

She had to to something about it! Even if it wouldn't work, she knew she should at least try.

She took a deep breath, picked up the phone and dialed his number. She let it rang for over three minutes and just wanted to hang up again as she heard his voice...

A nerve-wracking sound disturbed his restless sleep. He had only slept for about two hours.

Who the hell called at this time?! He sighed and picked up the phone.

“Yeah..?”

“Lindsey?”
“Sara?”

“Yeah, it's me.. Hi..”

“Is something wrong with Stevie?!”, he asked immediately, his voice sounded frightened.

“Actually, Lindsey, the better question would be, is there still anything right with her... She is a wreck, Linds. I don't recognize her anymore. She is...”, Sara had started to cry.

“Don't cry, Sara..”, he pleaded.

“I don't kow what to do... Mom, she is.. She's been crying for four months non-stop! She doesn't go out, she doesn't sleep, she doesn't speak, she rarely eats. I'm so worried about her.”, she said between sobbs.

“She misses me?”, he asked quietly.

“Lindsey, she's fucking in love with you! She's heartbroken! She's devastated!”

“I love her...”, he had started to cry, as well.

“Then get her back! Get me my mom back, Lindsey!”

“She won't let me speak to her...”

“That's because she thinks her decision was the right one to make. She thinks she needs to be selfless, so you can be happy.”

“But I need her to be happy!”

“I know. And she needs you!”