Blast from the past, Part I

Funny thing: This was the very first chapter I wrote of this story. Never ever would I have guessed that it would become my 44th chapter! This is crazy! Thank you all so much for reading! It means a lot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks later - it was a rainy summer day in Phoenix.
Sara was on her trip to New York with her drama class. She had won her paid internship that night and had thrilled audience and judges with her performance. Lindsey had been there with her. Barbara had captured the whole thing with a camera, so Stevie was able to see it as often as she wanted. The rest of Sara's family had been there, too. When the girl had left the stage and the crowd and all of the five judges had cheered, giving her standing ovation, she had jumped happily into Lindsey's arms.

Lindsey still couldn't believe how close they had grown together when Stevie had been gone. It was nearly too good to be true. He didn't know why but something inside of his head was only waiting for the next bad thing to happen. It had just always been like that between Stevie and him – everything was just perfect and all of a sudden it ended up in a mess.

He knew, he shouldn't think like that, rather think positively but he just couldn't get rid of this frightening feeling that everything could fall apart in just a few seconds.

Lindsey and Stevie lay on the couch. It was quite cold outside, so Lindsey had lit a fire and she had cuddled up to him underneath a blanket. They watched TV and she really enjoyed that moment with him.
Stevie sighed, she missed Sara a lot. When she had come back from her tour, they had only spent a few days together, then Sara had to fly to New York. It was the longest period of time she had ever spent without her baby girl and the daily calls just weren't enough for her. She wanted to take her in her arms, feel her little body and look into her brown eyes filled with excitement while she reported everything about her time in the Big Apple.

On the other hand, it was quite nice to have Lindsey for herself. They really enjoyed their time together, working on their relationship.

He looked down at her and saw she was in deep thoughts..
He smiled and squeezed her. She looked up to him and smiled, as well.
“You're good?“, he asked.
“Yeah, I'm fine. I just thought of Sara. I cannot wait for her to return home.“, she sighed.
She noticed his disappointed face and said quickly, "Oh, no, don't get me wrong. I love to be with you. Just the two of us. But I really miss her. She's only 15. It breaks my heart to be without her for so long.“

He smiled.
“I know, Steph. Don't apoligize. I get it. She's after all your baby girl, right?“
He knows me way too well, she thought and nodded.
“She's coming back in two days.“
“I know“, she smiled.

“I miss her, too, you know. I really adore her. She's such a sweetheart.“, he said and placed a kiss on her hair.

They continued watching the movie. A woman just broke down because of her cocaine addiction.
He didn't say a word but she heard him sigh.
“Maybe we better turn it off or switch the program“, he said.
“Why?“, she asked curiously.
“I.. It's just too hard. This....“
She looked up at him. Why was it too hard for him? He never broke down because of an addiction. She did. And she was fine with watching the movie.
“What do you mean?“, she asked.

“It's just... It reminds me of you.“, he mumbled, “it reminds me of that one night, that morning when I found you unconscious lying beside me.“

She looked at him quizzically. “What are you talking about?!“

“You know what I mean. That night back then in 1982...“