Four Months

“Mom? Mom?! May I come in?!”, Sara asked while knocking at her mother's bedroom door.

“Sure, darling... one minute..”, Stevie sobbed, grabbed a tissue and whiped some tears from her face as Sara opened the door.

“You've been crying again...”

“No, Sara. I'm okay..”

“Don't lie to me, Mom!”

“What's up, Sara?”, Stevie asked, ignoring her daughter's comment.

“Well, you got a package.”

“A package?!”

“Yeah..”, Sara replied and walked into the room, a huge package in her hands.

She put it down on the bed, where Stevie lay down and looked at her mother quizzically.

“What's in there?”, she asked.

“I have no idea..”, Stevie mumbled and started unwrapping the package.

When she opened the box and saw its content she broke down on the bed, more tears flying freely down her cheeks.

Sara sighed sadly and looked into the box. In there were five beautiful dresses in the most vibrant colors and a handwritten card. She took the piece of paper and read it.

To the beautiful couple that was so in love!

Love is magical and it gives you the strength to heal and tranform your pain.

May God bless you.

“Mom, what is this?”

But Stevie couldn't answer, she was crying again and couldn't stop sobbing.

“Mom! Stop it! It's enough! I can't take it, anymore! It's been four months! Four fucking months since you left him! Get your shit together! Enough is enough!”, Sara shouted all of a sudden angrily. She had tried everything but her patience was over. These endless crying-sessions had been going on for months and she was sick and tired of her mother not talking to anybody about it.

Stevie stopped sobbing and looked up at her daughter. Had it really been four months already? Had she really not seen him in four months? She couldn't believe it. It felt like it had happened just yesterday.

They looked at each other for awhile, none of them saying a word. It was Sara who broke the silence.

“Mom, I have to tell you something. I know what happened. I know that you left him.”

“How..?!”

“Please, don't be angry with me.. I was so worried about you. I didn't know what to do. I was scared...”

“Sara! How?!”

“I read your diary...”, Sara admitted silently.

“You did what?!”, Stevie's voice was full of anger.

“I'm sorry, Mom. I had to!”

“No, Sara! You didn't! I can't believe you did this! That was none of your business! You had no right to do that! Get outta here!”

“Mom, please..”

“NOW!”

“Fine! But do you wanna know what I think?! I think you're just acting absolutely stupidly. Shutting him out, not even giving him a chance to talk to you! You're acting like a little girl! He loves you and you broke his heart! You've always used to be my role model but now?! - I don't know! Look at you! You're fragile, you're insecure, you're a wreck! You've been crying non-stop for four months! This is not the woman who raised me! I'm so disappointed! I can't take this any longer! I will spend the next few days at Grandma's. I hope you'll get your shit together till I'm back!”

Stevie watched her daughter leaving the room, the door crashing loudly behind her.

Today, it was exactly four months since she left him.
“Four months”, he mumbled to himself and turned in his bed.

He still couldn't believe that she was gone, that she had left him behind. Still, he had had no chance to talk to her. He had called Lori and Barbara in order to get to Stevie but they didn't even know what had happened - and he didn't want to tell them, so he had hung up on them.

His phone rang and he looked at its display – Kristen.

“Hey..”

“Hi. Bad day?”, she asked.

“Yeah..”

“Wanna go out, tonight?”

“I don't know, Kit.. I'm not really in a mood..”

“You've been in no mood since I've met you, Lindsey.”, she chuckled.

“Yeah, I know... Why do you even want to hang out with me? I'm obnoxious to be around.”

“Because I like you. And you need a friend.”, she said softly.

He sighed.

“So? What about tonight?”

“Okay..”

“Is that a yes?”

“Yes. Yes it is.”, he said, not really being keen about it.

“Great! Pick me up at 8 pm.”

He sighed again and put down the phone. Kristen had become a very dear friend of him. She had been there to help him through his heartache. She had listened to what had happened, had tried to cheer him up and had talked about it with him. It was easier to open up to a stranger.

He had no idea why she wanted to spend time with him. He had lost all his charm, all his laughter. He had lost himself.