On the phone

Lindsey was on his way back home from the airport. Saying goodbye to Stevie and seeing her walking into the plane had not been easy for him. He had held her for 15 minutes and hadn't want to let her go until Karen had pulled Stevie away from him and he had stood there not being able to walk away. She had looked back at him over and over again and waved sadly. He had nearly cried and even now, that he was sitting in his car and was driving home he still felt tears forming in his eyes.

He knew, that he was going to see her soon, he would visit her in two weeks. But at that very moment, two weeks seemed like an eternity. Sleeping in their bed without her by his side was a terrifying thought.

Right now, he hated her job! He knew that her solo career made her happy and that she needed it to feel complete and creative but at this moment, he wished she did nothing beside Fleetwood Mac.

Being on the road with the band was fun but already exhausting, her doing it on her own every night was even more work and he wished he could be there at the end of the night and hold her in his arms to comfort her and make her feel safe and loved.

He sighed heavily. He knew he had said to stay at their home in Arizona to look after Sara and even though he'd rather be with Stevie, he knew it had been the right decision to make. Sara had done so much for him to make him win Stevie back. She had welcomed him warmly in their house, had never complained once about him moving in or made him feel uncomfortable.

She had been a true angel since the very day he had met her and he really loved her. He had noticed how much Sara had tried to make him feel home and he knew it had something to do with the fact that she had never had a father figure in her life and he was more than willing to give that to her. She deserved it, after all. That's why he had planned to make the following two weeks exciting and great for her. He wanted her to be happy and feel good in his presence. They were going to have a lot of fun together. And actually, he knew that this would also make time pass by faster for both of them until they would see Stevie again.

Stevie sat in her seat on the plane. She still saw Lindsey's sad face, looking at her in pain as she walked away from him. Saying goodbye had been hard for both of them. But she was going to work the next few months and was pretty much occupied with her shows, interviews and TV appearances, but he was all alone at home with Sara and had not much to do.

She really hoped this was going to go well for both of them. She knew how hard it had always been for him to see how successful she was as a solo artist, even though he was the genius of the band.

The fact, that he had not once said anything bad about it since they had come back together was a big deal.

When they landed three hours later and she was guided into her hotel room, sitting alone there in silence, no Lindsey, no Sara, she felt the tears coming up. She missed them already, both of them.

She picked up the phone and dialed their number in Phoenix.

“Sara?”, she asked surprised when she heard loud music at the other end of the phone.

“Mom?!”

“Yes, it's me..”

“Wait, I'll put you on speakerphone!”

The loud music disappeared.

“What are you doing?”, she asked curiously.

“Oh, Lindsey and I are cooking and listening to some music.”

“You're having fun?”

“Yes, yes we do!”, Sara laughed happily.

“Is it Steph?”, Stevie heard Lindsey asking at the other end of the phone.

“Yeah, it's Mom!”

“How are you two?”

“Mom, you've been away for not even four hours”, Sara said laughingly, “we're fine. Nothing special happened. Lindsey picked me up from school, we went for a walk with the dog, I did my homework and then we cooked. How are you?”

“I wish I could be with you two, now...”, Stevie sighed sadly, “I'm sitting here all alone in a big hotel suite and I'm missing you like crazy!”

“Aww, Steph! We miss you, too!”, Lindsey said.

“Yes, we do! It's just not the same without you. But I have to admit, it's great to have Lindsey for once all by myself!”, Sara grinned and patted laughingly Lindsey's shoulder.

“Sounds like you two are having lots of fun!”

“We do!”, Lindsey answered and she heard both of them laughing.

She smiled to herself. It was great to see both of them being so happy together. Still, she wished she was with them, too.

She listened and spoke with them until they were done with eating, until Sara went up into her room to have some time on her own and Stevie and Lindsey were able to speak privately.

“I miss you so badly, already..”, Lindsey said sadly.

“I do, too, Linds. Going on tour was a bad idea. And it has not even started, yet! I'm going to die here in this hotel room, I swear!”

“Steph, calm down. We're going to push through, you're going to push through!”

“Linds, I wanna come back home..”, she whined and he knew instantly, that she was miserable. The fact that he couldn't even do anything about it hurt him.

“Steph, what shall I say? I don't like it either, but we certainly have no other option..”

He heard her sobbing and it broke his heart.

“Stop crying, angel. Please stop crying. Or I am going to cry, too.”, he said lovingly.

“I cannot imagine how I will survive the following two weeks...”

“Me, neither..”

“Linds?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you stay here with me on the phone till I'm asleep?”

“Of course.”

“Thank you.”, she got up and changed into her nightie, turning off the lights in the room and getting under the blankets.

“Gosh, this bed is so huge without you in it!”, she sighed.

“That's because you're so tiny, Steph!”

They laughed. They went on chatting for some more time until he talked her to sleep and he heard her breathing even out. He stayed at the phone for some more time, just listening to her breathing. It calmed him down. Then he put down the phone and got up to bed, as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry for letting you wait for so long for another update but I had to study for my linguistic and literary exams and was pretty much occupied with it. Now, that my exams are over I promise to upload more regularly again.