It takes time

They didn't speak a word until they arrived back home and Stevie guided Sara into the living-room where both of them fell down on the couch and held onto each other desperately crying.

Lindsey approached them carefully. He still had no idea what had happened and was anxious to find out. Whatever it was, that had all three Nicks' women put in such a fragile, yet furious mood, must have been something really dreadful. So instead of asking, he knew Stevie would tell him as soon as she was ready, he sat down next to them and wrapped his arms around his two girls to soothe them. A few times, Sara babbled incomprehensible sentences between never-ending sobbs that Stevie hushed with loving words and soft kisses while rubbing her back.

It was late at night, and none of them had eaten anything since breakfast, when Sara eventually cried herself to sleep, lying in Lindsey's arms, Stevie protectively stroking her hair.

He finally looked up at his lover and as he saw her eyes, he knew bringing comfort was not going to end for him soon. She looked absolutely miserable.

“Steph, what happened, baby?”, he whispered anxiously, trying hard to keep quiet to not wake up Sara again.

Stevie shook her head in response.

“Let's get her into bed, first.”, she pointed at Sara.

He nodded, took the sleeping girl into his arms and walked up the stairs to lie her down in her bed. He removed her shoes and wrapped lovingly the blanket around her petite frame.

“Look after her, will you?”, he said to Sara's dog and petted the space next to his daughter. The dog jumped willingly on the bed and curled up beside Sara.

When he got back into the living-room, he found Stevie standing at the floor-to-ceiling windows, absently staring into the darkness of the night, silent tears running down her cheeks. How could she explain to Lindsey what her mother had done to them?

Carefully, he approached her from behind and wrapped his arms around her, nuzzling his face into the curve of her neck, placing soft kisses on her neck and shoulders.

“Steph, talk to me, please.”

He simply couldn't understand how a few hours ago, he and her had lay in bed, happier than ever, watching pregnancy photos and making love, and now they were standing silently in the room after Stevie and Sara had cried for hours, pain and disappointment written all over their beautiful faces.

She leaned back into him for a brief moment, savoring his strength and comfort for one last minute until she had to face him and tell him how her mother was responsible for ruining their lives. She sighed heavily, she had to tell him, she knew he was scared and needed to know what happened, so she turned in his arms and looked into those piercing blue eyes she loved more than anything else.

“Linds, can you just kiss me once more before I'm going to tell you what happened?”, she asked and her voice sounded so vulnerable, “just one kiss. I need you so badly..”, she was crying again.

He tightened his grip around her and asked himself why they always had to put up with so much pain and heartbreak. It seemed as if, as soon as they were happy, somebody wanted them to be miserable again. Why could they never really enjoy life and their newfound happiness?

He tilted up her chin and met her in a beautiful kiss. She felt him slightly holding back, he was not sure what she really wanted and needed right now, so he tried to be thoughtful and caring, it made her love him even more. But she really needed him and intensified their kiss, sliding her tongue into the warmth of his mouth, tasting the familiar flavor, her hands holding on to him for dear life.