1

2 years ago

Lyra looked at Gabriel, "I have to do this Gabriel," she whispered. Gabriel looked back at her confused and upset. "It's my dream!" She looked at her older brother, he looked troubled. What was wrong?

"You don't have to Lyra, stay here with me," he said quickly. "Please," he begged. Lyra sighed, she had just graduated from university and had got the job as a paramedic. She had to move to New York City for the job though, leaving Gabriel in Brooklyn.

"Gabe, I'll visit you whenever you want me to, okay?" she looked at her older brother, he had always been overprotective about her and she always wondered why.

Gabriel nodded, and pushed his glasses back up, they were in their father's shop. A watch shop really and Gabriel was incredible at fixing watches. "Good luck out there," he said. Lyra nodded.

"I'll call you, when I arrive," Lyra muttered as she grabbed her suitcase, "Here's my address, visit anytime," she said quickly. Gabriel grabbed onto her wrist and quickly gave her a hug.

"I'll miss you," he said. He then grabbed a watch, and reached for her wrist, "Keep this, promise?" he said. Lyra nodded and let him wrap the watch around her wrist. She smiled.

"I promise, goodbye Gabriel," she whispered.

Gabriel smiled, "Goodbye Lyra," he said.

Lyra nodded and before she left the shop she turned back to stare at her older brother, "I love you," she said. "Don't do anything too rash when I'm gone," She smiled. Gabriel smiled back.

"I love you too," he said, Lyra turned and walked out the door. She was going to be a paramedic, everything was going to be fine.

She looked back at the shop, "I promise I'll visit some day," she whispered to herself, "I miss you already Gabriel," she smiled to herself as she waved for a taxi.

Present-day

Lyra woke up and sighed, she looked to her side and wrapped her arms around the man she loved. "Good morning Peter," she said with a smile.

"Lyra," he muttered softly, pulling her so close that their foreheads touched. Lyra dragged her finger across his face before looking at the time 6:32 AM, they had to leave soon.

Peter sat up on the bed and gave Lyra a small kiss on her forehead, "What's for breakfast today?" she asked.

"Toast," Peter muttered. Lyra got out of bed and got dressed. She walked into the bathroom and got ready for the day, tying her hair into a ponytail she saw Peter wrap his arm around her torso. She smiled and grabbed one of his hands and put it over her mouth.

Lyra had been dating Peter for about 2 months, they worked at the same place, and he was probably the nicest guy she's ever met besides her brother. She remembered Gabriel, he hasn't called her for a year, they haven't seen each other either. She sighed. "What's wrong?" Peter asked softly.

"I haven't spoken or seen my brother for a year already," she said. "I miss him," Lyra let go of his hand and headed out of the bathroom.

"My brother's a senator," Peter said quickly following her out the bathroom, "You know he's talking about us! People with abilities? When he has one himself," Peter shook his head angrily. Lyra nodded, of course she had forgotten Nathan was Peter's older brother.