Marcus's P.O.V

MARCUS’S P.O.V

Marcus paced in the woods for a while after Rayne had run off. He felt so confused as to what to do. Rayne had given him a choice to make, one that he could not see him making in her favour. He was at odds with himself, his human side wanted Thia, but his wolf side wanted Rayne.

Yes she was his mate and he felt drawn to her, he constantly fought with his wolf, who wanted to mark her, and claim her as his own. But Marcus had been able to overpower his wolf every time, knowing it was too big of a risk not too.

He knew that if his friends found out that Rayne was his mate, they would instantly turn on him and he would become an outcast like she is.

Marcus still remembers the day he realised Rayne was his mate. It was his sixteenth birthday and he was looking forward to finding out who his mate was. He was standing around in the lounge room with all his mates, while they all talked about if anyone in their pack was Marcus’s mate. Thia was the first female to walk up to him.

“Hey Marcus Happy birthday” She said smiling up at him.

She was a year younger than him so she was only fifteen, “ Hey Thia, thanks” He said looking back at Kane who had just shoved him on the shoulder. “What did you do that for man?” He asked Kane.

“Well I guess my cousin isn’t your mate.” Kane said to him.

He looked back at Thia who was frowning at Kane, and shrugged his shoulders “I guess not”

“Freak alert” Marcus heard Kerry, Thia’s friend say.

Marcus looked over at the door way and his heart rate picked up as soon as Rayne walked into the room. The scent that came from her smelt like honey with a hint of Rose. She looked up and their eyes met. Marcus’s wolf shot up and tried to take over. Mate. Was all Marcus could hear running through his mind. He felt as a smile spread across his lips. Rayne frowned at him smiling at her before looking away from him. He was about to walk over to her when Donny, Kane and Marcus friend shoved Rayne into Murry another one of their friends who then shoved Rayne down to the ground “Don’t touch me you freak!” Murry screamed at her.

Rayne lowered her head but didn’t say anything, she slowly got up off the ground and made her way towards the kitchen while everyone in the room yelled out names at her.

Marcus lowered his head when she walked past him. He closed his eyes and fought back his wolf so he wouldn’t take over and try to protect Rayne. It was then that he decided that he couldn’t tell anyone who his mate was.

He then spent the next year avoiding being near her. Whenever she walked into a room that he was in, he quickly came up with a reason to leave. It was only in the last few months that he stared watching Rayne from a distance, he knew that she would be turning eighteen soon and be able to recognise her mate. He was worried that she would tell people as soon as she realised he was her mate so he came up with a plan of rejecting her the day before her eighteenth birthday.

Marcus shook his head to help wipe the memories of the past that started to flood his mind.

He didn’t fully understand why the kids in the pack treated her the way they did. Yes, she was a were lion and not a wolf, but that has never really bothered him. He only went along with the rest of his friends in fear of them turning against him if he every voiced his true opinion.

Marcus let out a frustrated groan as he continued to pace. She wanted him to claim her and tell everyone they were mates as well as break things off with her sister.

Surely she knew that there was no way possible that he could do that.

He actually liked Thia, they got along really well. So when she asked him out he didn’t hesitate to say yes. It did take him a little bit longer to answer Thia, as his wolf burred up and was fighting with him over his decision. He also knew that by doing so it would hurt Rayne, but he couldn’t be with her so he might as well be with the closest thing, her sister.