Chapter 16: First Flight

Hi everyone!  SK here.

So Valerie is Initiated, she is going to be the next Queen, and her adoptive dad is dead but the only people who are aware of this are Heliux and Layra.  That'll get you all caught up, XD.

Anyway, without further adieu, let's begin.  I hope you enjoy this chapter~!

Valerie

I wake up feeling a bit groggy as I sit up.  My attempt to hold on to those last few moments of sleepy blissfulness fails as memories of last night begin to return to me.  Honestly, I still can't believe that I'm a fairy.  I'll admit that I'm still slightly denying the fact that I'm supposed to be the next Queen.

Queen?  Me?

Who would've thought?

I'm a nobody.

I slide off the bed, doing a quick stretch before I start to get ready.  Layra and Heliux are going to start my magic training today.  They explained last night that they were going to do a quick fairy history lesson, and then they would teach me how to do basic fairy things, like how to channel magic and how to fly and yadda yadda yadda.  I initially questioned whether we would be able to get all of those things done in a day, but they assured me that magic asserts itself in fairies very quickly.

At least I get to see Nombles again today somehow, so that's a plus.  I really miss her.

I shiver as I think of what I'm supposed to do tomorrow; I'm supposed to see her to begin my "Queen Magic Training".  I've never met this Queen in my life but I really hope she can clear lots of things up for me.

Heading for the door, I briefly glance at my new room before I leave for breakfast.  Since I'm in a position to be the new Queen, it puts me at a position that is similar to August and Verity's.  My temporary room- I say temporary because I've noticed that this mysterious Queen isn't here, so when I take her place I'll probably have to leave the Colony- is on the same floor as the twins'.  I'm actually passing August's room as I walk down the hallway, then down the stairs.  

Glancing at the walls as I continue my travels, I notice that the roses have shriveled slightly today.  Hmm, I wonder to myself, what could have caused them to lose their purity?

I reach the outside, taking in a giant gulp of early morning air and reveling in both its chill and freshness.  It feels weird not to be getting ready for school, and I desperately want to run back there and reassure my friends that I'm okay and perfectly safe.  I know that if I try, I'll most definitely get in trouble.

Perhaps I can ask the Queen about it later; if I'm her supposed understudy, maybe she can squeeze some things in for me...?

"Good morning," says a warm voice, and to my surprise the almost-happy tone comes from Heliux.  I turn to see him approaching me, and I have to desperately try and pretend that this interaction is normal.  "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes," I reply coolly, nodding my head up and down.  "Thank you for asking."

"Oh, you do not have to thank me for that," he says, almost sheepishly so.  "It is my job to make sure you are well, Your Majesty."

I gape at him.  Your Majesty?  "I... um, I'm not Queen yet," I remind him, wanting to reinstate the facts.  That was really weird, why did he do that?

"Yes, that is true," he admits.  He stares at me with those amber eyes of his and continues.  "However, you will be crowned soon; you should get used to the title, no?"

"I suppose," I mutter back at him.  Trying to stay on course, I try to recall what he told me yesterday.  "You mentioned that you'd give me a small history lesson today?" I check as soon as my memories come into focus.