Chapter 40: Sanctuary of the Missing Sun

Hi everyone, SK here.

Woah lots of things have been happening, eh?  Well, after this chapter, there are only SIX more chapters left.  I know.  It's so strange that this book is going to be done soon, it feels weird.  Updating has become part of my schedule so it'll definitely be weird when it's all finished XD.

Also, important question for all my readers, if you can just answer in an in-line comment.  There were Extras posted in The Fairy's Cure that give a little bit of insight on other stories that happened in this world.  Now, I had to cut the number of Extras I planned to publish because this book was coming out, but I do have a fair number of Extras that take place in both the past and future.  They would be at varying lengths depending on what's happening.  My question is, would you guys be interested in seeing these Extras, yes or no?  Because looking back at the TFC Extras, 2/3 of them didn't do as well (with the exception of the last one because it had the teaser for this book) as the actual chapters did in terms of reader engagement.  So would any of you actually be interested (yes, this means actually reading them and not just interested in the concept)?  

And nope, I won't be revealing what the Extras are just yet, that'll come in a future update. :P

Anyway.  Apologies for the long beginning A/N, but let's get to it.  As always, I hope you enjoy!  Don't worry, this chapter'll be a shorter one unlike the last two.

Valerie

I hold onto my parents until a sudden thought crosses my mind.  Pulling apart from them, I frantically ask, "Where's August!?"

"He is safe.  He is back with the rest of the fairies," Dad tells me reassuringly.  "No additional harm seems to have come to him."

I let out a sigh, not a frustrated one though.  "Maybe we should head back," I suggest to the both of them.  "It's not safe here, and we need to formulate a plan."

"Are you okay to go back?" Mom presses, her violet eyes digging into my own as she gazes at me with caring concern.  "Because we can stay here as long as you want, as long as you need.  It's not like we're the ones who are Leaders."

The offer, however tempting it may be, I know isn't something I should accept; I shake my head no.  "No, we should go back.  I'm fine," I add, giving both my parents a small smile.  "But thank you, thank you so much... I didn't know how much I needed that."  They probably think I'm talking about the hug and Dad's reassuring words, but I just meant loving parents in general.  Something normal.

"Alright then.  Allow me," Dad says with a wink as he creates the portal that will lead us back to the rest of the fairies.  He steps through first, and Mom pushes me to go through while she follows behind me.  We appear on the edge of the group, so it doesn't take long for them to spot us.  The fairies are standing in small circles reuniting and hugging each other.  

August and Verity appear to be politely arguing, although the former breaks off his statement when he sees my parents and I.  "Is everything alright?" he presses, concern lacing his tone.  His fingers easily find their way to his scarf, his nervous tic. 

I twirl a pointer finger around a strand of my hair.  "Everything's good," I assure him, looking between August and his sister.  "But what were you two talking about?"

"Just... discussing our next course of action," Verity answers with a huff, putting her hands on her hips.  "There seems to be a slight disagreement on the matter."

August looks ready to fire back a reply at her, so I interject before he can start a yelling match with the other Leader.  "Right now, we're too close to the human base to do anything safely.  Let's go back to the castle and-"