Chapter 38: A Twisting Tale of Time

Hi everyone, SK here.

Valerie has made it to the last stage, Time.  What will this stage be like, and will she make it through unscathed?

Without any further adieu, let's get Val's first test finished up shall we?  I hope you enjoy this chapter.  IT IS VERY LONG SO FAIR WARNING.  (Around 13K words.)

!!! WARNINGS: Bad language, violence, death, other trigger warnings (references to suicide and r*pe) -- i.e. do NOT read this chapter if you do not handle mature material or are easily triggered, if you would like to see how the first of Val's Queen's tests end, skip to after you see one of the images you saw last chapter (the one with the sacrificed Spirit Soldiers) but with Leaf on it.  Past that point will be safe to read. --

(Yes I know wow Val had some great past lives didn't she)

P.S. There's references to a dream.  If you want a clue, what's the chapter that has 'Dream' in its title?

Valerie

"I love you, that's why."  Leaf's spirit approaches me.  "We all do, that's why we all did this."

"But I-"

"I don't care what you did," she interrupts, a heartfelt smile on her face.  "I know you, I know the person you are inside, and that person is the person I want to spend forever with.  That person and all of her friends."

My eyes begin to water even more.  "I..."  What do I say to that?  I know I'm not the person she thinks I am, but there must be a reason why she is going to sacrifice herself, right?

Leaf opens her arms.  "Hug?"

"Hug."  I don't hesitate to rush into her arms and hold her close.  Maybe this is why I wasn't upset over Leaf dying, part of me knew that I would see her again deep inside even though my conscious mind didn't know yet.  All of a sudden a whoosh! noise sounds, and the portal leading to the last stage opens up.

My best friend looks at me, a determined smile on her face.  "You made it this far, let's finish this."

I take her hand, the pain that I'm in being pushed to the back of my mind.  "Absolutely."  We jump through together, and Leaf even laughs as the air rushes past us like we were on a rollercoaster.

When we land, I glance around in confusion.  This stage, unlike the others, is blank.  It's not like the Darkness stage when it was black and we were blinded, this one I can see just fine.  It's just... grey.  That's it.  

Footsteps sound as Calem approaches us- well, me.  I can only assume that Leaf is still standing by me, because during the test stages I don't have access to my Spirit powers to be able to see her.  

I'm still in disbelief that she did this for me.

The Time Spirit Soldier, soon to be former Time Spirit Soldier, has a tiny smile plastered on his face when he comes close.  "So, you've made it to the final stage, are you ready to finish?"

"Oh boy am I," I say sarcastically with an exasperated laugh.  "Now what physically-taxing thing do I need to do in this stage?"

Calem pats down his blue jacket.  "This stage, unlike the others, will not be physically taxing... that doesn't mean that it won't be difficult."

"What do we have to do?" questions Leaf's voice from somewhere close to me.

"This is the Time stage.  You and Leaf will be travelling through your past memories.  There will be two versions of the memory you will have to enter and relive, but one of them will have a slight variation which will make it false.  You must select the version of the memory that is true in order to travel to the next memory test."