Chapter 43: And Thus Began a Fight

Hi everyone, SK here.

For once I don't have much to say.  What is there to say, other than the book is ending soon?  Anyway, let's just begin already.  I sincerely hope you enjoy this chapter.

August

The dawn is upon us.  

It's time.

The sky is still dark with just the edge of the horizon showing some light as all of us begin to make last-minute preparations.  I'm on edge, who isn't, but I can't show it.  The fairies need someone to look up to, and even if Ver and I are younger than most of them, we need to act like Leaders.  I keep telling myself this, repeating it over and over as if it'll engrave itself into my skull.  Maybe I keep repeating the same over and over again to try and put what Valerie revealed to me yesterday in the back of my mind.  

"Hey," comes a sudden voice behind me, causing me to jump.  Verity snickers as I scowl at her.  "So jumpy," she comments with a smirk.

I swat at her.  "I'm just nervous, that's all," I point out.  "You know that I'm not really big on doing this in the first place."

"Don't worry, think optimistically!" she encourages, giving me a hearty pat on my shoulder.  "I mean, okay, worry a little, but don't let it consume you I mean."

"Yeah..." my voice trails away as I shake my head, trying to return to reality.  "Say, did you need anything?"

She eyes me with one of her signature sarcastic looks.  "You mean I can't just come over here and talk to my amazing brother?"

I roll my eyes as she snickers.  "Yeah, actually I did need to talk to you about something.  This has kind of been eating me up for the past couple days, and I feel like I owe it to you to tell you the truth.  The timing of this is... okay, not the best, but I won't be able to fight properly if my mind isn't focused, and well... it isn't."

Confusion fills me.  "You have a secret?  You know you don't have to tell me if you don't want to."  I bet it's that her and Lin are dating, but she doesn't want anyone to know because of the Leader rule that they can't fall in love.  Right?

"No, I need to tell you.  And you might never talk to me again or look at me the same, but you need to know.  Zagan this is probably going to be one of the biggest mistakes I'll ever make but-"

"Verity," I tell her gently, placing a hand on her shoulder, "just tell me."

Her nose scrunches up as she inhales and exhales deeply.  "Alright.  Dad, he... he wasn't killed by humans."

"What...?" 

Both of her eyes are downcast now.  "It was a lie I told to rally everyone up for the war."

I don't know how to feel, I don't even know what to feel.  "Did you even see how he died then?"  I'm shaking, I may start hyperventilating too.

"Yes."

Fear courses through me, I'm afraid to ask her but I need to know.  He was my dad, he got me through life and I miss him terribly.  I want to know how he died.  "Then...?"

"I... it was me.  I killed him."

"No."  My reply is instant, because this is an obvious lie.  There is no way that Verity would kill the person she spent so many years with, one of the people she's loved the most.  It just doesn't make sense, this isn't a funny joke and even she knows it.  If she's still refusing to tell me the truth, then I need the lie-detector in Layra or Valerie here.  "That's not a funny joke, Ver."