Chapter 2: An Odd Occurrence

Hi everyone, SK here.

If you are wondering why I updated early, it's because THE FAIRY'S CURE HIT TEN THOUSAND READS.  Like HOLY HECK GUYS!!  Thank you so much!!  I never thought any of my books would make it that far.  Seriously, thank you, thank you all so much.  

I hope you're excited for the second chapter, I know I am.  Get ready to meet some more characters :)

Please enjoy!!

August

"Good morning," Mom says cheerfully as she steps into the room, wearing her usual pink dress.  She has a tray of what looks like breakfast in her hands, and she places it on my desk.  It must be freshly made; steam still wafts upwards from it, and I instantly become hungry just from the smell.  Maybe I can get Valerie to split those pancakes with me... no, August, you don't need them, you already ate.

"G-Good morning," Valerie replies.  She looks so nervous that I begin to feel sorry for putting this much pressure on her.  "I'm assuming that's for me?" she checks, pointing to the steaming deliciousness.

Mom nods, turning her warm eyes toward my friend.  "Yep!  Mallow made this fresh for you."

"Mallow is one of the best cooks around here," I explain to Valerie when she eyes me in confusion.  "She runs the main eatery.  She's great!"

"Oh!  Um, thank you," she says, thankfully sounding a little more confident.  She twirls her finger around her hair, which I've noticed that she tends to do it when she feels uncomfortable.  It's like when I like to twist up my scarf when my hands need something to do.  I can tell that she's hungry, but she's unsure of whether she can go eat or not.  

Mom, thankfully, picks up on this; she's a good reader of people.  She slides the tray towards the edge of the desk, prompting Valerie to come closer.  "You should eat it now, it'll get cold!" Mom tells her.  Valerie nods her head up and down and cuts a hesitant piece of the pancake.  She gulps it down, blinking at me with those big purple eyes of hers.  I can tell that she must feel intimidated by Mom... I don't blame her. 

"How is it?" Mom asks, sitting down on my bed.  Valerie sits down in my desk chair, and I just stand by the door.  

"It's very delicious, um- I'm sorry, what do I call-"

Mom waves her off.  "I'm glad you like it.  You can just call me Serena, by the way.  No need for formality here."  Mom's smile is so bright I could close the blinds and we would all see just fine.  

I can tell that Valerie isn't ready to let her guard down just yet.  I know her; she's not one to warm up to people who she doesn't know.  My mother is no exception.  

Mom just smiles at the girl, then tosses a look at me.  I give her a little nod and she turns back to Valerie.  "August told me a little bit of what happened," Mom begins slowly.

Valerie pauses.

"He didn't tell me something anything specific," Mom assures her, but Valerie still seems tense.  "But if you're a friend of my son, then I know you can be trusted.  You will be safe here," she adds.

Valerie nods her head slowly.  "Will August get in trouble?"

Mom's eyes become shocked as both of them glance at me.  If I were to say that I am not shocked at her question, that would be a lie.  "Why do you ask that?" she asks her.

"Well, he kinda mentioned that coming to see me every day straight for about a year was very illegal," Valerie admits.  She turns her troubled gaze toward me.  "I really don't want him to be punished for it; his visits really helped me."