Prologue

Heliux

I stride forward to the glass castle in front of me that sparkles in the sun.  Vines grow around it, flowers in full bloom blossoming from them.  The castle shimmers like ice, flows like water, and glows like embers.  It is as if the Elements have crafted it themselves.

I sigh.  Perhaps the Heliux in the past would have appreciated the architecture more, but after what happened a few weeks ago, I feel numb.  I do not care for such things anymore.

With one small push the large heavy doors open before me, and I see her Majesty in front of me.  I approach the base of her throne, and put myself in a deep bow.  After a few moments, I rise again.  I quickly glance around, but it seems that the Soldiers are absent today.

"You have summoned me, my Queen?"

I watch as she slowly nods.  She sits mightily on her throne, the Sapphire Staff held firmly in her right hand's grip.  Her short, pale blonde hair, tinted rose pink at the ends, blows right and left as she turns her imperial gaze to me.

"Yes," she says eventually.  "Do you know the reason for this?"

I attempt to begin a thought process, but my mind seems as blank as an unpainted canvas.  The Drago Incident happened over a year ago now.  She would not want to talk about that, surely?

"Let's just cut to the point, shall we?" she asks suddenly, her serious expression transforming into an almost playful one.

There are only a small handful of fairies that can make me lose my composure.  She is one of them.

"What do you wish to speak of that cannot be resolved in our biannual meeting?" I question without faltering.  "For the past four years, the fairies have been living in harmony and have been at peace.  Would you like to hear news of the Leaders' children?  Their fourth birthdays passed a few months ago."

She shakes her head.  "I can listen to more about them at our next meeting," she replies, almost looking bored.  "I summoned you to talk about what you and Layra have done."

I freeze, taken aback by her words.  "Wh-What?"

"I'll simplify it for you.  A little over a year ago.  After peace was restored.  You and Layra did something.  I think you know what I am referring to."

"Why didn't you summon her as well?" I ask instead of replying, growing tense.  I am not in the right mood to handle this situation, even if it is Her Majesty.

She looks at me, her eyes made of steel.  "She knows how to lie.  You, on the other hand, do not."

"I can lie."

"Not to me, you can't."

"Touché."

She smirks at me.  "The Heliux I've known for a while now wouldn't have any comebacks for me.  I like this new you."  Then she sighs.  "But I can't allow that to happen again.  Even though what happened was a blessing, it will prove to be a curse for you both.  I think you're beginning to feel the effects of that curse, are you not?"

I wince.  "We are not planning to."  I also do not plan on answering to the rest of her words.

She seems to take my answer, and her face falls into a thoughtful expression.  "Where is she?"

"Layra?"

"Heliux!  You know who I mean."

I try to smile, but remain stone-faced.  "She is safe.  That is what matters."

She stands up, striking the Staff against the floor with a crash that echoes through the glass floor.  "You may leave," she says.  "Though I wish to speak to both of you about this later.  Also..." she trails away and I glance at her.

"If you need anything, anything at all, I'm sorry.  I know what you must be going through."

No, you do not.  Don't you dare suggest that ever again.

Of course, I would not dare talk back to the Queen.  I do not say anything and nod, leaving with dread pooling deep inside me as I make my exit.

Surprise!  Chapter One comes out next week.