Chapter 25: Searching for the Sun

Hi everyone!  SK here.

So basically this chapter is gonna be a giant recount of various events that take place over the course of a little less than a week.  So enjoy, this is going to be the last chapter where things are like they were after TFC's ending. :'>

There will be a total of five POVs in this chapter... I know that's a lot but it's necessary.  I don't think things will get confusing (the events line up with each other) but if they do, leave a comment and I can try and help :)

VERY LONG CHAPTER ALERT, around 7K words.  Don't read this all at once if you don't have time, I get it.

Red

"What's up?"

Turning to Leaf, I find her with a curious expression on her face.  "What?" I ask her, leaving my headspace.

She gives me a faint but patient smile.  "You just looked like you were thinking about something really hard.  Is everything okay?"  

I offer her a faint smile of my own; ever since we've left the fairies' home, Leaf started to return to her usual chipper self.  Maybe it's because she now knows her friend isn't dead, maybe it's because we have a mission to accomplish, maybe it's a combination of both; all I know is that I'm glad to see her finally coming back.

"Apart from the fact that I'm about to call a Council and no one will be able to focus because of the spell in their heads, I'm not sure," I say sarcastically.  We passed a fair chunk of people when we started walking toward the Indigo Plateau, and all of them looked fatally ill, deranged, or a sick combination of the two.  There were hoards approaching Leaf and I, clearly sensing that we were different an unaffected; people don't normally swarm around me, even though I am the Champion, so this experience was very odd.  It became a point where safety was a matter of concern, so we both just mounted Charizard and flew the remainder of the way there.

"Come on, don't think like that," she tries protesting.

I glance at her.  "Is there any other way to think?"

"Fair."

After a slight pause, I continue.  "There's a lot of responsibility I have here, Leaf.  The fairies' entire society and state of being is dependent on what I can accomplish here, which is going to be hard when all of the other Champions are going to be convinced that they hate fairies and are slowly going insane themselves."

Leaf's eyes grow wide.  "Do you think they would come at you, just like those passerby did earlier?"  She shivers slightly, but I'm quick to reassure her.

"I doubt it, but even if it does happen, we have the bracelets that the fairies gave us," I remind her, placing a hand against the stone-cold door that leads to the Council room.  

Earlier today, in the morning, the Leaders announced to the rest of the fairies the truth about what the situation is and what me and Leaf were doing there.  We could tell that many were unhappy about us going back into the human world with knowledge of fairies, but eventually they understood.  One of the higher-class fairies- I forget his name, but he was a man with a long blue suitcoat- gave Leaf and I bracelets that would teleport us back to the Colony.  The bracelets have a large, silver circle attached to them that spins to make the spell work.  Normally I would protest to wearing jewelry, but now it is supremely important.  

Even knowing this, I can tell that Leaf is still worried.  "I won't keep you any longer," she whispers, wrapping her arms around my neck in some form of a hug.  "But please, be safe, and- how long will you be?"