Chapter 6: Meeting the Ministers

Hi everyone, SK here!

Yes, we have an early update out- it's my birthday so I thought I'd give you guys a gift of my own for being so awesome.  There won't be an update on Sunday because it's coming out now- just to let you all know.

You saw what the twins were up to last chapter... so what was Valerie doing during that time?  Let's find out.

Don't forget to check out Chapter 5 before this one.  Enjoy!! :)

Valerie

"Where are we going?" I ask Heliux.  A couple minutes ago I separated from the siblings to have a chat with the Minister.  I had just assumed we would be going to his room, but we've just walked past that building.  

"I was thinking that it would be best to talk in our library," he answers calmly.  His head is turned in the direction that we're going, so all I see are the curls on the back of his head.  "It will be quieter in there."  I know what he means.  There won't be as much people.  I appreciate that thought, but now I just think he wants to be alone with me- why do I find that kind of creepy?

"Sounds good," I say, acknowledging his statement.  "Will Lyra be joining us?"

"You mean Layra?" Heliux corrects, making me wince self-consciously.  Instantly after I do that, the fairy pauses and turns around.  "You don't have to feel bad.  You've only just met us after all."

Does he have eyes on the back of his head or something?  "How did you know I felt bad?" I ask, sounding curious.

He turns back around and we continue on our way.  "You were wincing to yourself."

"But you were turned around when I did that, how did you see me do that?"

"Have you heard of Elements, Valerie?" he asks instead of answering my question.

I try to recall the earlier moments to see if August or Verity have mentioned anything about Elements, but I don't remember that term being explained to me.  I shake my head, answering, "No, I haven't."

Heliux suddenly stops at a round, flat building, and turns to face me.  "Elements are special things throughout the universe that make it what it is.  Each fairy has an Element, and it is their job to protect it; fairies usually have individual powers that deal with their respective Elements."  He looks seemingly less... I don't want to say afraid, but that's what he looked like.  He looks more collected as he explains fairy stuff to me.  

"I see," I say absently.  "So what's yours?"

"My Element is Space," he answers as he unlocks the door with a soft click.  The fairy swings it wide open to reveal a darker space.  There are thin, rectangular windows travelling around the circle, letting in sunshine that reveals specks of dust floating around.  Books, probably millions of books, are stored neatly in the shelves with assorted decorative spines.  If Brendan were here he'd probably die and go to book heaven.  

"Wow," I say, letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding.  I enter the room as Heliux holds the door open for me, then closes it once he enters as well.  I spot a beautiful oak railing in front of me, and when I look over it, I can see the space travelling down, down more, like a never-ending hole.  Bookshelves are stacked all around the walls of the library; the only light sources are the windows.  Looking to my right I spot a staircase that must be the way to access the lower floors.  When I was gazing over the railing I could see that the library has lower floors, forming a ring shape around the edge of the library.  The rings get thicker the lower they are.