Chapter 45: Rain Upon a Golden Dawn

Hi everyone, SK here.

I haven't even started writing this chapter yet and I already know this is gonna be a hard one for me to write.. not just because it's the second last chapter.  

Anyway.  This is probably the most important chapter in the book, so I'll let you get reading.  

!!! WARNINGS: Not a warning but I'm giving free hugs in the comments

- NO POV -

With the aid of hundreds of Spirits by their side, the fairies now fight back strongly against the humans.  Old friends, family, gather side by side to defend not just their home but their entire way of life.  

"Did you talk to Alara?" Layra's voice is almost drowned out by the battle.  Valerie mentioned it to the Minister quickly before she leaped off to go with the Leaders.  "Gardenia?"

The former Queen sighs.  "Yes, I attempted to- but it seems Alara does not want to show her face here, at least not now."

Heliux lets out a sigh; why would she?  Why would she?

"Leafeon, a Leaf Blade please."  Gardenia turns back to the Ministers after her Mist Pokemon executes the command.  "You know, I remember when you two couldn't even look at each other- and now you have a child together."

Heliux lets out a small hmph noise as he shouts out orders to his Pokemon.  Turning to the first Queen, he tells her in an annoyed tone, "Your Majesty, is this really the time for that?"

She looks at Layra who seems to busy with her Absol.  "He's still obsessed with using titles, I see."

"Absol, Night Slash at the Arbok then go defeat that Gengar before it gets to Alakazam!"  The Dark Minister has an exasperated smile on her face as she looks at her partner.  "Yes, some people never change no matter how long they live... but I wouldn't have it any other way."

"A question for the both of you-"

Heliux cuts off Gardenia with that strict tone of his.  "Your Majesty, we should be focusing on the battle, this is not the place for chit-chat."

Gardenia smiles sadly at the Light Minister.  "This is the first time I've gotten to talk to either of you since my death, and it could be the last.  I need to ask this..." the first Queen seems to lose her words for a moment while she composes herself.  "Do you despise me for what I did to you both?"

"At times, at times I did," Heliux replies with a clear undertone of anger in his voice.  "Milotic, Scald!"  He turns back to the former Queen, some hidden emotion in his eyes.  "When I hated Layra, it felt like I was suffering everyday.  Then, I had that short time when I was able to love her properly, before we were separated.  When we got separated I suffered knowing I could only see her once every century for mere hours.  Almost my entire time with the fairies I've suffered."  He lets out a dry laugh.  "I suffered either not having love, being away from my love, losing loved ones... but now, Layra's back with me for good.  And I have my daughter who is everything to me."  He actually... smiles at Gardenia.  "Yes, I despise you.  But I also have so much to thank you for, friend."

"Yeah, um... Love's better at words than I am, so that comes from me too," Layra adds quickly after he finishes, but not before shouting to her Goodra to use Draco Meteor.  She locks eyes with the former Queen before continuing.  "Our lives weren't the best, they never were.  Being immortal made it worse, but some things got better too.  At least neither of us will ever be alone."

Gardenia smiles at the two before fighting alongside her friends once more.  "I'm glad to know that," she tells them, and she means it.

"Pikachu!"  Ash's cry is as loud and proud as ever.  "Quick Attack into Iron Tail!  Greninja, give some Water Shurikens to Pikachu!"  Ash is always fired up for a battle, no matter what's happening or what the stakes are.  His Greninja tosses out his signature water weapons while Pikachu jumps on them, illuminated by his blue Quick Attack light.  The Water Shurikens provide a path for Pikachu to run up to strike an opposing Tyrantrum hard with an Iron Tail.  Despite having spent centuries apart, Ash still has good synergy with his Pokemon.