Chapter 26: Her Lightness's Last

Hi everyone, SK here.

You know what's coming, I know what's coming, let's not waste any time here shall we?  This chapter is gonna be a rollercoaster to write I already know (edit: it was)... so I'm just gonna get to it.

Enjoy, if that's even possible.  And again, there's a few POV switches in this chapter.  AND AGAIN, long chapter alert.

!!! WARNINGS: Violence, Death, Lots of sad feels :(

Verity

August and I wake up early so we can catch our parents before they leave.  I didn't get a chance to see Valerie last night so I unfortunately I couldn't tell her the news that Leaf told me to pass on.  I was hoping to see her this morning, but when I go into her room her bed has been made and it's clear that she's already gone to the castle.  I guess I'll have to tell her when she comes home to the Colony today.

I glance at my brother as we descend down the steps; he looks tense.  "Are you okay?" I ask him.

"I think I'm just nervous," he returns after a pause.  "Mom and Dad are doing something big today so there's that.  Then Valerie has to take her first Queen's test tomorrow, I'm a little scared for her."

"I'm sure she'll be fine- look at all that she's been through," I point out to him as we hit the bottom step.  "She's still standing after all of that, I think she can take some silly test."

"No, it's not just that," Auggs says, sounding concerned.  "Last night, she looked really distraught as we said goodnight to each other.  We both know her, she worries excessively, but last night I couldn't help that her worries were warranted..."

I shake my head; I love Val, but she's getting in my brother's head on a day that is not only important for her and our parents, but for us.  He needs to be on his game.  "August, both of the Ministers will be there.  Heliux and Layra won't let anything sneaky happen.  Everything will go fine, so we should be focusing on our duties here to let Mom and Dad be less worried when they go out there to sign the agreement.  Right?"

"Right," August answers weakly, and I know that I haven't convinced him of anything yet.  I can't do much about it right now, but I know that when we have to be in charge of things his brain will kick into gear; that's how my brother works. 

The Light fairy turns to me.  "Where do you think they'll be?" he asks, referring to our parents and the Ministers.

My response is a shrug.  "The best place to start is the center plaza, after that we can check the Council's Court and maybe the Library."

"Okay."

As the two of us travel the paths of the Colony, we notice that all of the buildings, shops, and eateries are all empty.  It's particularly strange; considering the amount of fairies that live here, you'd think that there'd be some in any of the establishments.  Although as we near the Colony's centre we begin to hear the murmur of a crowd grow louder, so it's clear where all the fairies are.  Of course it's early, so a good chunk of fairies are still asleep, but there's a decently-sized crowd gathered in that area.  

"Mom, Dad!" August calls, grabbing my hand and pulling me toward them.

"Good morning to both of you," greets Mom as we come close.  She gives August a hug, then me.  I hug her back; Mom really gives the best hugs.  I don't know what I'd do without them.  Dad comes up after and hugs both of us, holding us close maybe a little longer than necessary.  He's nervous, I realize.  But can I really blame him?

"Are you guys ready?" I ask breathlessly.

Dad nods after a second.  "Theoretically we should be.  Your Mom and I have been hearing wishes of good luck for the past forty-five minutes," he adds with a small chuckle.