Extra #1 Pt. 1: Prince Lithius

Hi everyone, SK here.

No, I'm not dead, but it's definitely been a while. How've you all been doing? As you guys can tell I'm a bit inactive on here, motivation's been low and I'm being rushed into adulthood so that's funnnn. Anyway... guess it's finally time to hear Heliux and Layra's backstories. Originally I was going to publish both, but since it's taking me a while to write things I decided to just get Heliux's out for now. Layra's will definitely be next.

!!! WARNINGS: Some of the content is slightly disturbing.

Many, MANY years ago...

Part 1: Prince Lithius

In the dead of night, a young prince reads in his library that has a bountiful amount of books. Even at this hour he is dressed formally in a dark cerulean suit; his usual tie is forgotten though, replaced by a ribbon hastily tied into a bow. The words, written in now-fading black ink, on the yellowing paper are barely visible to him in the near-darkness. Moonlight barely illuminates the pages, tinting his honey-brown hair blue as it shines through perfectly-cleaned windows. Prince Heliux Andrius Lithius lets out a sudden sigh, closing the worn book before he even finishes the page.

As he stands up he lets out another huff. "Hmph, all of these books are so boring," he mutters to himself. To him, every single book in his little alcove has started to sound the same. "All of them, facts without flare. Where is the excitement?" He tosses his arms up as he paces the room, ranting to himself alone in the dark. "Where is the edge? Where is the magic!?"

When the word "magic" escapes as a shout, Heliux quickly slaps his hands over his mouth as his eyes widen. His heart pounds and he finds himself hyperventilating as he glances toward the door. No footsteps, not even a single sound apart from the noises he is making himself. A relieved sigh escapes him, one hand resting on his chest while the other props itself on the table to keep him standing. "Father is asleep," he repeats to himself. "Father is asleep."

That word has become a banned word in his family, that rule of course having been instated by his father. The King does not care for the word in the slightest and has a large hatred of it and everything it represents. Heliux has tried asking why before, that never ends well for him. The Prince shivers when he thinks about it now, about how his father lectures him, hurts him any time he remotely talks about that word. Lecturing him, beating him, telling him that a good king thinks about reality, about his people; lecturing him that Heliux will always fail when he believes in silly fantasies that are made to appease children.

The Prince clutches his right arm, which was the target of his punishment yesterday. He is absolutely terrified of the King, so terrified that he can't even think of him as a father anymore. The words are getting to him; perhaps his father is right, Heliux should give up this nonsense-

A clock chimes, pushing the young prince away from his thoughts as he tries to make out the time. As soon as twelve chimes reach his ears, he quickly tosses the book he was reading back on the shelf and runs down the corridor as quietly as possible. Despite its size he knows his home inside and out. Heliux quickly finds his way to the spiraling staircase that leads the way to the top of one of the castle's spires and follows it upward.

"Mom, did I miss anything?" he asks as he steps out into the open air at the top of the tower. He takes a deep breath, the cool air and the clear night sky beginning to calm him down from his earlier fright.

The young woman, who was attentively watching the stars, now turns her warm gaze toward her son. "Nothing yet," she replies, and after staring at him for a bit, she laughs. "My my. Here you are dressed up as if this is a momentous occasion while I am just in my nightgown." The two of them often like to stargaze while the King is asleep, albeit if the weather is clear enough.