Chapter 27: The Mourning

Hi everyone, SK here.

So I'm 101% sure you all hate me and honestly that's pretty understandable, I swear you guys are going to murder me by the time this book finishes.

Anyway, let's get on with the chapter... I hope you enjoy.

Valerie

I clasp my hands together.  "So you're sure I'm ready?"  Excitement begins to course through my veins, along with nervousness.  "I'm able to take the test tomorrow?"

Alara nods, radiating her usual warmth as she does.  "Valerie, you've more than met my expectations.  You are ready to accept the position of Queen."

Star comes up beside me, placing a hand on my shoulder.  "We'll miss you," she says, an unusual sense of solemnness in her tone that I've never noticed before.  Heart breaking, I realize.  When I assume my position, just like Alara will have to pass away (which I have not accepted yet at all), her Spirit Soldiers will have to perish also.

She must see my expression shift, because she's quick to reassure me.  "When you've lived for as long as us, you'll welcome death with open arms.  You'll see it yourself one day, Valerie.  But for now, your path to earning the Sapphire Staff is just beginning, so focus on that- and the fact that you're going to somehow spawn nine humans in this castle tomorrow to be your Spirit Soldiers."

"Star, lay off her, I told you I'd take care of it," Alara scolds.  She smiles at me.  "Valerie, you're free to go home.  I'm going to put my Elements in the tower for you to claim."

"But won't that mean you'll be powerless?" I protest.  This doesn't seem like a good idea.  "You won't be able to perform any of the Queen spells, and you won't be able to have access to your power-"

The Queen holds up a hand to stop my rambling, and swiftly points the Sapphire Staff toward me.  "This Staff serves as the Queen's Necklace, remember?  I can still perform magic, although limited, with it.  So do not worry yourself."

I slowly nod in response.  "You're sure you shouldn't wait?" I press, but she nods.  I've known Alara long enough to know that she trusts every decision she makes wholly and completely.  She's seen the future, I remind myself.  Even if something bad is going to happen, it will surely lead to a better future.

But at the same time...

Ah, nevermind.

"I can walk you home," Calem tells me as the Queen descends the stairs to the first test's starting location.  I pause, but nod.  We can just make a portal back to the Colony- we can make portals from the castle, but not to the castle- but he wants to talk to me and I need to talk to him.

I still cannot believe that he's Alara's Soldier of Time.

Waving a goodbye to the other Spirit Soldiers the two of us leave the hallway and enter the main room.  I'm about to leave through the entrance doors but Calem stops me.  "Wait," he says, pointing at the torches.  I'm slightly confused until I see the Elemental flames, one by one, flicker and die out.  The corresponding lights on the torches also go dark.

"Sorry," he apologizes, though his voice sounds absent.  "I just wanted to see it."

"It's alright," I tell him, and the two of us push through the doors and enter the fairies' forest.

It's much earlier than when I usually leave after training- it's probably around noon if I were to guess, judging by the sun's position in the sky.  Wait- it's noon...

Oh no.

It's happened.

Serena's dead.

My hands start to tremble as I realized what has happened.  I killed her.  Indirectly, I killed her.  I killed the Leader of the Light fairies.  I stop in place, my actions weighing on me.  First the Venom of the Fae and now this.