Chapter 33: Jailbreak School-Style

Hi everyone, SK here.

So a lot of bad things have been happening (like seriously me, whyyy) (IDK ME, WHY DID YOU PLAN IT-)

Okay I'm not going to have an argument with myself but what I AM going to do is say that we're actually going to have a chapter without anything bad happening- so yay.  I hope you enjoy it!! :)

P.S. That chapter title feels accurate, school is very annoying especially during COVID it almost feels like a freaking jail... but let me start and I'll stop rambling now.

P.P.S. This week (the week I wrote it at least, for context today's the 20th of February) I seriously struggled with writing, so this chapter is going to be short.  I really tried but it got to the point where I was sitting at my laptop for hours with me thinking how stupid I was because I couldn't write even though I know exactly what to write, and it took me the same amount of time it takes to write a 6K word chapter to write this 3.5K one.  I'm really sorry because this chapter probably isn't that good... anyway, so much for not rambling.  Go read and pay no attention to me and my struggling. X-X (edit: ironic that this chapter comes out the week I decided hey, let's not write chapter 39 because writing chapter 38 burned you out way too much.)

!!! WARNINGS: Bad Language, Violence

Valerie

"Any suggestions for our plan?" I question Red as I look up at him.  My wings graze his neck a little because I'm sitting on his shoulder.  The ex-Champion can definitely hear me, but he's choosing to remain silent.

He's been doing that a lot.  I suppose that he's just grieving but... look at me and everything that's happened, I can still talk especially during crucial moments.

Everyone deals with grief differently though, I remind myself, feeling a slight bit guilty for making that comparison.  Still, he should know that he needs to help plan this especially when there's a giant risk that the rest of the humans will see me and go bonkers...

About a dozen-or-so police cars have surrounded the school.  My school- well, my old school now I guess- is at the bottom of a grassy slope, so Red and I standing on top of said slope is giving us an easy vantage point.  No students are leaving the school; the only movement we can see is the officers filing in and out of the building.  From here I can spot our clubroom's window (second floor, third to the right), and from what Leaf told me before the shot, it sounds like they're trapped in there.  

God-fucking-dammit.  

If I was faster, I could've-

I sigh.

It's strange.

I hardly feel anything anymore.

Red paces around while I hover in the air, and all I can think about is how I'm seeing people not as people, but as pawns in the chess game that is this life.  Lance is a king.  Verity and August are kings (oh please, I know that Ash must be dead by now because there hasn't been a Balance Ritual.  Verity wouldn't go down easily like that).  I'm a Queen.  Alara is also a Queen.  We're both Queens, and each side of the board only has one.

I know who I'm going to fight for.

Does she?

Leaf died.  My best friend died, and all I'm thinking about is how that is going to affect the future, all of our futures.  It wasn't my best friend's death.  It was just a single instance, a tiny blip in the grand scheme of everything.  What's important is continuing on for the hope that what's in store for us at a later point is better than what's going on now.