Chapter 5: Preparations

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

Valerie is going to go talk with Heliux, but meanwhile, what are the twins up to?

Let's not waste anymore time!!  I hope you enjoy Chapter 5. :D

August

Verity and I keep watch on Valerie and the Minister until they travel past our field of vision.

My sister says it first.  "That is going to be one awkward conversation."

I have to agree with her.  She didn't see how Heliux reacted to Valerie earlier, but knowing his poor social skills and seeing as how he almost passed out when he first saw her, I have a feeling that that meeting is going to be at the minimum a little awkward.  

"I just hope Valerie doesn't get too freaked out," I confess.  "Heliux usually has this, um... I'll say odd first impression around newcomers."  

"That's laying it on pretty slight there," chuckles Verity.  Turning toward me, she adds, "Also, I wouldn't worry about Valerie.  She seems like she knows how to handle herself, even if it is up against Heliux."

If there's anyone who knows how to handle herself, it's definitely her.

Verity talking again zaps me back to reality.  "We should inform everyone about the trial," she tells me.  "I think that would help out Mom and Dad."

"We don't know where they are," I point out, while searching the plaza to see if they're here.

Verity looks skeptically at me.  "Uh, yes we do," she tells me.

Now it's my turn to have a skeptical look.  "They were with the Ministers when we left with Valerie about an hour ago, but-"

Shaking my shoulders, Verity starts screaming at me.  "Stupid!  Don't you know our dad?  He just woke up.  He'll be having his- erm, very late breakfast.  Let's go to Mallow's Eatery."

"It's been an hour," I start, but then stop myself.  Dad loves food almost as much as Verity and I, he'll probably be there still.  Besides, I know Verity just wants some breakfast for herself.

The Dark Fairy sees my slight change in expression, and with a smile she begins dragging me to the restaurant.  "Come on!" she says.  "We don't have all day."

"You don't have to drag me, I can walk and fly perfectly fine," I protest indignantly, pulling my arm from her grip.  I glare at her, but she only grins back.

Smirking, I take this opportunity to get back at her.  "I've never struggled flying before either."

She lets out a small sigh as we continue walking but she doesn't comment further, making me feel like I've crossed a line.  Maybe I did.  Unlike other fairies, like me, who have two pairs of wings, Verity only has one.  It took her more than a month for her to learn, which is a lot longer than it should have been.  My sister doesn't like being behind, or looking weak; she's still sensitive about it to this day, even though it happened centuries ago.  I watch as her smile fades slightly, and quickly regret my words.

"Sorry," I say instantly.  I don't like having bad blood, and I definitely hate causing others to be upset, even if it is my sister who teases me essentially all the time.  "I crossed a line I shouldn't have."

Verity only lets out another sigh.  "It's alright," she says, waving me off.  I still feel bad though, and I know I've killed the mood.  Great, I think sarcastically.

We continue back in the direction we came in, waving to some fairies as we pass.  Even though we're the Leaders' children, the other fairies don't really see us in a position of higher authority.  I don't mind it, it's been easier to forge friendships without that future burden weighing down on top of us.