Chapter 44: The Fallen Fly Free

Hi everyone, SK here.

WOAH OKAY, real talk here.  So this is the third-last chapter.  This chapter is one of the most intense things I've ever had to write, and the climax isn't even finished in this chapter either... still.  To be honest this chapter was a little bit of a struggle, so I hope it's okay.  Tell me in the comments once you finish!  This is one of the last ones in the book, so please, enjoy.

P.S. Do you remember chapter 40 of The Fairy's Cure?  Those wrongs get righted today.

- NO POV -

The sun is beginning to clip over the edge of the horizon when the fairies emerge through portals at the edge of the woods.  They are facing the east, the sunlight shining on the humans turning them into dark silhouettes.  

The Dark Leader steps forward along with her brother, both of them hovering in the air to be seen better by the people that think them to be no better than scum.  "Lance," she says in a voice as cold as stone.  

"How is he still alive," he demands through gritted teeth, as if the very sight of August is disgusting him.

"You did a great wrong by bringing injustice upon the fairies and my family.  All of you.  As Leaders, we will take our revenge for our people here and now."  Verity's voice is as strong as ever, no wavering whatsoever.  Perhaps it's the part of her that's looking for a fight, or perhaps it's the part of her that genuinely cares about the well-being of the Colony.  She only knows one way to protect, and that is through force.  

"Alara told you the terms, do you agree to them?" August asks, mighty and strong, from beside his sister.

The red-headed man thinks to himself for a little bit.  Beside him are all of Red's former associates, the other Champions, as well as a great many others who the fairies can presume are expert battle trainers.  "Yes, she did, and the terms do seem good... for us."

A wind howls as it blows through the area, and Verity looks Lance squarely in the eyes.  "Good.  Then may the best side win," she says with a complete lack of emotion.  Both Leaders fly back down to the rest of the fairies, who by now have all lined up to mimic what the humans were already doing.  They walk side by side to the center, the Ministers and Advisors standing on either side of them.

"Curses," Verity commands, summoning her Mist Pokemon.  This prompts all the other fairies to do the same, the blue sparkling creatures appearing on the grass and enlarging themselves to human proportions.  Of course, this sparks the humans to summon their own Pokemon, tossing their Pokeballs in the air and crying out their partners' names.  

From the side, the soon-to-be Queen watches all of this intensely.  She was told by both the Leaders and her parents that in case her magic should spiral out of control again, she should sit out of the fight.  She wasn't happy about it, but by now she knows the consequences that could be had.  She already has to deal with enough.  However, if things were to get dire, Valerie is supposed to use her powers.  That's what they told her, though she can't help but feel a bit useless as she merely watches her friends fight for their lives from the sidelines.

However, her Spirit Soldiers are definitely partaking in this fight, despite the fact that most of them do not have formidable Pokemon... well, except for Red.  With sure steps he walks forward and stands beside Verity, the entirety of his team already out of their Pokeballs.  The regular Pokemon stick out like a sore thumb around the minty-blue Mist Pokemon on the fairies' side, and Lance spots the former Champion easily.  

Before he can get any words in though, Red speaks up.  "I once was your mentor, I trained you," he pours out.  "All of you were once honourable people that I was proud to rule with, and now look at you.  Is a spell really all it takes to corrupt you?"  He knows the part about the spell can't be helped, but the words are already rushing out of his mouth.  "And you killed Leaf."  His voice hardens.  "You're a murderer, and now I have no choice but to treat you like one."  He holds Leaf close to him, inwardly afraid that he's about to lose her again.