Epilogue

Eons into the future...

"Dad, why did you spoil Ceri with noodles so much?  I didn't need him to have an addiction too, you know!"

He turns a page, her voice echoing in his ears.

"Dad, do you think August will resent me for what I did to him?"

Unfortunately, he was never able to answer that question for her.  From how his memory has began to fade as the years went by, he's lucky to even remember who he was.

"I hope you get many chances to taste the sunlight, on the Vi-Goldetta it tastes like salted caramel."

He flips a page, remembering the times where he did get to taste it.  And yes, it was exactly like salted caramel.

"I wonder what they think of me, Dad, Ceri and Aura.  I'm not here for them, they're with the Spirits and I... I'm not."

He keeps turning the pages, her voice echoing in his ears, stories playing out in his mind, his heart getting lost in the memories.

"Dad, I hope you don't miss me too much."

"Dad, you know that I'll wait forever to see you and Mom again, right?"

"Dad, I can't wait for us all to be reunited again."

"Dad, I can't wait for all of us to be a family again."

"Dad, I can't wait for you and Mom to finish your work."

"Dad, I love you."

"Dad."

"Dad."

Dad.

Heliux closes the journal with a small sigh, resting his head in his right hand.  It was his daughter's parting gift to him, a gift given to him so, so long ago.  It's been more than a billion years since he's seen her last, more than a couple billion years.  He hates that her face is fading from his mind, his memory.  Only her voice can he really be certain of.  She has become a blur in his memories, and he hates that he let himself forget about her.

Curiously, he notices an odd flap sticking out of the journal, one that he's never noticed before.  It must have just... showed up, he's had this book for who knows how long now, he would've noticed it surely?  Heliux pulls out the flap, which reveals itself to be a simple folded piece of paper.  Gently, he unfolds it to reveal a message... a new message, directed to him?

Dad,

Are you surprised to see something new from me?  I cursed this page to appear only on a special day.  I hope that you've been doing well all these years, both you and Mom.  Be excited, good things are coming your way, and I know that you'll make the right choices.  I'm the Time fairy, you can trust me you know!

I love you both so much.  I'll be seeing both of you very, very soon.

Love,
Valerie 

The paper flutters down to the floor as Heliux thinks about the words he just read.  She would be seeing both him and Layra soon?  

He touches the swirled sapphire hoop, the sapphire itself coloured violet and swirled with gold, that sits on his right ear.  The piece of jewelry that both him and his wife wear, the jewelry they wear to honour and remember their only child.  The child that they would apparently be seeing very soon.

He doesn't want to believe it.  He doesn't want to give himself false hope.

Three quick knocks sound at the door to his office.  "Yes?" Heliux answers in a slightly annoyed tone, well, his usual tone.  He quickly hides the journal in one of his desk drawers, following up with, "You may come in."