Chapter 37: The Elements of a Queen

Hi everyone, SK here.

So this was originally going to be a part of chapter 36, but it was WAY too long so I split it up.

Anyway, let's just continue, shall we?  I hope you enjoy.

!!! WARNINGS: Bad Language

Valerie

The pain in my chest has only worsened since gaining the Earth Element and losing Rosa. Goddammit she was smiling even as she was left behind. My shoulders still tremble when I remember the sound I heard when the portal closed, the sound of rocks falling behind her.

Now I have to say goodbye to yet another one of my friends. Ethan of course, and Star. I've grown to like her witty personality and I'm going to miss her, and I'm in disbelief that Ethan wanted to stop here. He probably doesn't want to face the wrath of the other stages, I realize with a stab of guilt.

Brendan walks up to his best friend and sorrowfully hugs him close for a few moments before letting go. "We'll see you on the other side," he says to the person that could be his brother at this point. "Promise."

"Promise," returns Ethan to Brendan as I go up hug him. My eyes are still hurting quite a bit from this stage, as is my skin. I feel blinded to the point where everything I look at might as well be covered in sun spots, and my skin feels like it was roasted over a fire... and I have the sinking feeling that that's what's coming in a future stage.

"Star..." I my voice trails away when I look at the now-dying Spirit Soldier.

She just gives me that signature Star-smile of hers. "Don't worry, I'll take care of your friend here," she assures me. "You just hop on to the next stage, will ya? Just promise me one thing though, Valerie," she adds suddenly, her gaze darkening. "Living for as long as you will gets... rather boring. Be sure to find ways to laugh every single day." A smirk returns to her face. "Why do you think I teased your father so much? His reactions always make me laugh- I think they make everyone laugh. Laughs are important, and you'll see that the longer you live." Star shakes her head, letting out a small huffy sigh. "I'm keeping you, aren't I." She drags Ethan back into the white abyss of blinding sunlight. "Go claim your Element."

Before I can respond to any of that, both Star and Ethan disappear from view, Star for the final time. I let out a sigh of my own, and my feet wobble as I walk up yet another flight of stairs. My friends are tired themselves yet they still find it in their hearts to prop me up. My heart hurts when I think about the fact that after each stage, there will be one less of each of them. The Light Element sits in front of me, lime green waves pulsing from it in an almost electric-like fashion.

Bracing myself for the pain, I reach my fingers out and bite my lip hard to repress my scream- some of it escapes though. The Element of Light pulses through me as I fall to my knees. Everyone is by my side in an instant. "I'm okay," I tell them, even though I am clearly not okay and they know that. "We... need to keep going."

"