Chapter 30: The Hero's Death and the Victor's Scandal

Hi everyone, SK here.

So you know what's coming this chapter... so for once I'm just going to say fasten your seatbelts, buckle up, and get ready for this intense ride.

!!! WARNINGS: Bad Language, Violence, Attempted Suicide, Death (Basically if you're easily triggered don't read this chapter because it is DARK.  Skip to the end and I'll give you a recap, I completely understand).

Verity

A couple hours prior...

"Dad, are you ready?" I ask.  All the plans are set.  Everything is in motion.  As I knock on his door, soon to be my door, I think about the stuff I researched in the library.  All the notes I took, the magic I used.  

Everything is going to come together.  

I'm going to save all the fairies' lives today.

"Coming," he says, but there's something off about his voice.  It sounds empty, a lot more empty than it should be.  Mom just died, it's understandable... I miss her too but unlike me, Dad will get to see her again soon.

He opens the door to his room and his tired eyes look at me as I stand out in the hallway.  I hold up the tea tray in my hands.  "Dad, you look tired.  Let's sit down for a bit."  It takes a moment for my words to reach his ears, but eventually he just nods and pushes the door open wider for me to enter.  

I set the tray holding the two steaming tea cups on his desk, adding the appropriate milk and sugar to each cup and swirling it all together slowly with a spoon.  "Verity, do we have time for this...?" he questions, but I'm prepared for that.

"Yes, we can always make a portal if we need to-"

"I told you I wanted to walk there, Verity."

"I know," I'm trying not to lose my patience as I tell him.  "But I think this will help wake up your senses a bit."  Handing him the teacup, I watch his hands tremble as he accepts it.  

He likes his tea sweet, which is why I add more sugar to it.  People always assume that I'm the same, but I actually like my tea with barely any sugar at all.  Maybe that's why I'm more of a coffee person, that drink is much more bitter.  

Still though, I pick up my barely-sweetened tea and take a sip.  Green tea.  I look at Dad, who's thankfully taken his first sip of the beverage, with a great sense of relief.  I never have anything more than green tea, while Dad loves to experiment with flavours (even though he does with all kinds of foods) and goes out to try those exotic kinds that I can't find myself liking.  I envy him for that; green tea for green envy I suppose.

What exactly am I envying him for? 

I know the answer, and it isn't tea.

After a few moments of just the two of us drinking tea I watch with silent delight as Dad puts his now-empty cup on his nightstand.  "Thank you, Verity," he says, giving me a small smile that was probably very hard for him to conjure.  "I'm lucky to have such a good daughter."

I return the gesture, albeit in a bit of a flustered manner.  "No need to thank me, Dad."  I'm not done but I set the cup down anyway.  It's time to go.  I have half an hour minimum, forty-five minutes maximum.

Luckily I don't need to tell him this, he stands up all on his own.  "We should be going now, we wouldn't want to be late."

Giving him a nod in response, I abandon the drink tray and follow him out the door.  The two of us, still in silence, walk through the hallway, down the stairs, and out into the fresh air.  Not wanting to waste time, I pull Dad toward one of the exits to the Colony only to hear footsteps running up behind us.  Turning around, we see that it's August.