Chapter 28: Broken Strings

Hi everyone, SK here. 

Yes, things are getting a LOT more intense (I feel like I've been saying that a lot recently) and now August and Valerie are fighting.  Let's get back to that, shall we?

I hope you enjoy!

!!! WARNINGS: Bad Language

Verity

I jump out of bed and bolt across the hallway, stopping short of August's door.  They're both still yelling at each other, and because I don't need August to go through anymore strife than what he's gone through and what I'm going to put him through very soon, I step inside to intervene.  I make sure to swing the door wide open so it hits the wall so that they know I'm there.

"What are you guys yelling about?" I ask as calmly as possible, and they both turn to me.

August looks... not himself.  An instant later he turns back to his girlfriend, completely ignoring my question.  "I love you, I love you so much, but how... how could you..."  Even his voice is trembling as it fades away.  

"I didn't, I swear to you I didn't!" Valerie pleads with him, taking his hands in her own.  "I didn't know that-"

"THEN HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN IT?" he shouts, swatting her hands away.  "Heliux could have easily saved her.  He sees everything, that's what he does.  That's what he was there to do, but he didn't.  He let her die because of you."

August's words leave a mark on her.  "Then take out your frustration on him, not me!" she protests, her volume rising as she screams back at him.

"Because I'm not mad at him, I'm furious at you, Valerie, you!  You killed her!  You didn't pull the trigger but you sure as hell left it locked and loaded so someone could."  His voice falters even more as he pulls even father away from her.  "My mom is dead and you're to blame."

"Alara is still the owner of the Staff, I haven't unlocked my full abilities!  I swear to you that I didn't cause her death, why would I want her dead?  I love Serena!"

"You mean loved," August remarks darkly, shaking his head in a disgusted manner.  "And don't pull this bullshit with me, Valerie.  You've unlocked enough of your abilities to be able to see into the near future.  I know you saw it, you saw that my mom would have fucking died yet you did nothing to prevent it!  What kind of a Queen are you?"

August is right, but at the same time, he's wrong.  

"I-I-" Valerie looks at me, her eyes sending me a plea for help.

"Despite what training you got from Alara, you're still the worst liar.  It's only logic that you saw Mom would die on the day she would go to save us all."  August's words clearly leave a mark on her.

Valerie shies away from both of us now, shaking.  I want to say that she deserves this, but she doesn't.  She's only trying to get by in a world that is constantly expecting the best out of her, out of all of us.  She's just doing what she needs to, but at the same time, I don't want to ever see her again.  At least, not now.  I need some time away from her.

My thoughts drift back to that Moon Party last week, where we were all happy and laughing together.

What happened?

I voice these thoughts to her, and they both flinch.  "You'd think I would hate you, but I don't," I add.  "But we have to face the facts, Mom is dead, August is the Leader, and now Dad is next up on death's row."  I'm not dying.  It's out of the question.  If either me or him has to go, then it's him, and I'm going to make sure of it.  He lived his life.  His life was over the moment Mom's wings broke apart.