Chapter 4: New Surroundings

Hi everyone, SK here.

I was just thinking about Ash's Kalos League experience.  The writers led up to the fact that he was going to win, but at the very last second, Greninja fainted and he lost.

If you're wondering why I'm thinking about this... no reason.  Anyways, let's start the next chapter clean and fresh with Valerie.

I hope you enjoy it!! :)

Valerie

"I knew you guys would get in trouble," I fret, pacing around his room.  "I'm so sorry I-"

August puts his strong hands on my shoulders, calming me down.  "Valerie.  Stop.  We're not in trouble, I promise."

I look down at my toes.  "I ruin everything."

"Hey, don't say that!" he protests.  "You're amazing, and you don't ruin anything.  Take my life for example; you make it better by being in it."

That earns him a flustered smile from me.  Dammit, August.

"See?" he says slyly.  "I knew you'd agree with me."  He grins, and I try my hardest to not make it look like my heart's beating a thousand times a minute.

He's always been good at this, pulling me back up out of the hole I crawl into.  My dad- no, both my parents have caused me a lot of mental trauma.  I don't like thinking about it, but I've never been fully happy.  I didn't exactly live a normal childhood.  It's not like I don't have friends who help me, because I do!  My friends have always been there for me.  Well, them and August, once he came around.

Without a knock this time, Verity pushes the door open.  "Guys, I think I figured something out!"

"Wait, so you both overheard stuff?" I question.  August himself only came back about a minute or two ago.  He didn't really tell me anything yet.

Verity flashes an annoyed look at August.  "Auggs, why didn't you tell her?"

Auggs?  That's a cute nickname.

"You stayed there for like a minute after me, I had no time to tell her!" he protests.

Verity sighs.  "Well, it looks like it's my job, again, to get things done around here."  She motions for us to sit down, so August and I sit on the edge of his bed while Verity sits in his desk chair.  

"They were saying that you have similar looks to someone else they'd met before," the fairy explains.  "Someone named 'Star'."

"Star?" I echo.  "That's a rather odd name."

"But the question is, who would they meet outside the Colony?"  August questions, staring blankly forward.  "We all like breaking rules but this is Heliux and Layra we're talking about- well, specifically Heliux."

"He doesn't like to break rules?" I ask him.  I hate it being left out.  

He nods.  "He's a rule-freak," August explains.  "He obsesses over them.  Layra, on the other hand, is way more lenient with that kind of stuff.  She's more fun.  Honestly, I don't see how they became a couple in the first place, they're both so different."

"They're a couple?" I ask.  From what I've heard about them, these two fairies sound like polar opposites.  The quiet guy who is scared to break rules and express himself and the extroverted girl who takes chances and risks just for the thrill of it.  

They sound like a perfect match.

"Yeah," Verity answers with an eye-roll.  "But we're getting off-topic here.  We need to figure out who Star is, and how they knew the Ministers.  This Star person obviously did something to them and we need to find out what it is and why."