60 - mistletoe

—————
Y/n POV
—————

The week went by quickly. Although it was pretty awkward, Ryder and I made some conversation and I third wheeled a lot more with Blaise and Luna. They were doing great and by the way that they acted, people would've thought they were a married couple.

It was Christmas Eve and the windows had frosted over a bit, making our dorms a little cooler. I was snuggled up on the couch by the fire in Draco's old quidditch sweater and a large blanket, when I heard someone walking down the stairs.

"I um...I brought you some hot chocolate?" Ryder said nervously as he set down a warm mug on the table in front of me. I could see how jittery he was and gave him a soft smile to try to ease the tension.

"Thanks" I smiled as I watched his eyes light up a bit, relived by my reaction as he took a sip of his own hot chocolate.

I carefully picked up the warm mug and was happy to see a large amount of whipped cream on top with chocolate drizzle.

"Are you excited for Christmas?" I asked, hoping it would start up a nice conversation between us.

He cleared his throat before looking over at the fireplace sadly.

"I um...never really celebrated Christmas." He sighed as he looked down at his mug, embarrassed.

"Oh, my bad. Do you celebrate something else?" I ask immediately, mad at myself for assuming he celebrated Christmas like me.

"No it's not like that," he laughs, noticing my uneasiness as he looks back up to the burning fire, "I just never really had a reason to celebrate it back home as a kid, I guess."

I frown, seeing him look a little defeated mentioning that last part before asking him, "What do you mean?"

"I uh- I never really had the best home life..." He sighs as he sets his mug down and plays with his fingers nervously, "My dad was a drunk and was rarely home. He used to abuse my mother...which is why I can't forgive myself for using you."

He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath after that last part, trying not to get back into that before whispering, "And since my mom was uncomfortable around my dad, I never saw much of her. They only were there for me when they had to be. Like the one time I fell while sledding down my stairs. Honestly, I did it so that I could gain their attention and sure enough, the doctors wrote to them and they showed up at the hospital later that day. They were more mad at me for being foolish than caring, but at least they were there..."

I felt my heart ache hearing about his childhood. His parents were were too busy in their own problems to take care of their own son...

"So did you ever get presents? Even on your birthday?" I asked sympathetically and then immediately regretted it seeing him frown and look back down at his fiddling fingers.

"No..." he sighed but then a slight smile grew in his face, "Whenever I would spend time at the Malfoy's though, Narcissa always got me a nice gift. She was like a second mother to me and I am so grateful for her. There was this one time. It was my 10th birthday and my mother made me a small cake. It wasn't much, the decorating had not much effort put into it, but it was something."