51 - without you

—————
Draco's POV
—————

"I'm sorry."

Those were the only words that I could think of for this situation.

I was sitting in the living room at Malfoy Manor with Jade and she sat closely beside me, hugging her knees to her chest. I felt terrible for what had happened and I knew I should've done something to stop it, but I was paralyzed in shock.

"It was destined to happen at some point. Besides, there was nothing you could've done." she sighed as she looked over to the burning fireplace.

For the past few days, she had been traumatized, shaking everywhere, and she would sometimes knock on my bedroom door at night asking me to watch a movie with her or anything to distract her from the nightmares.

Ever since I met Y/n, my nightmares disappeared so I felt awful seeing Jade that way.

She would often worry about Ryder and would curse herself for letting him get to close. They really cared about each other and the way that Ryder had fought for her showed how strong their love was.

But I was a coward.

I didn't fight for Y/n.

And although I wanted nothing more than to see her, I knew that I had to keep her safe.

And the only way to do that was to keep her away.

"I miss him..." she softly started to cry as her arms began to shake around her legs.

I took a deep breath as I closed my eyes, not sure on how to comfort her.

I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her close to my chest. She was freezing cold and was startled by my touch but sniffled and relaxed in the embrace.

"I miss Y/n too..." I whispered, leaning my head on hers as my chest rose up and down.

She sighed as she tilted her head to look up at me, "At least you and her are together still. I broke up with him..." she whispered, regret evident in her quivering voice.

"Yeah, but she probably hates me right now. Do you think she knows that I-"

"That you almost killed Dumbledore? No, I don't think so..." she whispered, her eyes softening as my jaw clenched thinking about the night's events.

"Shit, Draco. I'm sorry..." she sighed as she hugged me back and my anger faded.

"He's dead." I stated in monotone as she dug her head deeper into my neck. I felt my eyes starting to water, but I quickly blinked it back, not wanting to cry in front of her.

Sensing my depression, she whispered, "It's okay to show emotion, Draco. You can trust me..."

I slightly chuckled at how vulnerable we both were and a single tear fell down my cheek.

"Draco?" she quietly whispered, her voice shaking.

I looked down at her and felt a tug at my heart. We had been friends for years and she was one of the few people I did trust. I felt devastated that this had happened to her.