26 - please

—————
Y/n POV
—————

I arrived back at Hogwarts on Monday night and was greeted by my friends. They asked how my birthday weekend was and they even got me gifts.

I told them everything, even the fact that the Malfoy's were there.

But, I didn't tell them about Draco's gift.

It seemed too personal and I wanted to talk to him about it myself.

I was at lunch on Tuesday when Draco entered the great hall. He looked a bit better than he had the previous weeks and I think it was because he felt relief from giving me the letter.

I smiled at him when he approached our table and at first he looked surprised, but he smiled back.

After lunch went by, I quickly got up and ran after Draco, knowing that he would be to scared to walk with me.

"Draco?" I asked as I grabbed his hand and turned him to face me, "Can we talk?"

He looked a bit nervous, but bit the inside of his cheek and nodded as I pulled him through the castle and up the stairs to the astronomy tower.

When we reached the top, I pulled him over closer to me and there was an awkward silence for a second before he apologized, "I'm sorry for leaving early, I didn't feel well."

"I know you left because you saw me with Finneus."

His eyes widened, surprised that I knew the true reason why he'd left.

"I just couldn't bare to see you talking to another guy..."

"I get it, Draco, I really do. But you can't get overprotective and upset over things you can control anymore. You and I aren't a thing anymore," I sighed and I saw his features drop into a saddened look.

"I know..." he sighed as he looked out at the view from the tower.

"Did you get my letter?"

"I did," I whispered, "I loved it very much. You said everything I wished you would. You opened up to me and put yourself out there and I'm proud of you."

He turned around to face me again and his features lightened a little as he began to smile.

"But, I have to tell you that I can't fully forgive you yet. The letter was perfect, but actions always speak louder than words..." I said as he looked at me like he was fully listening to every word I said.

"I understand. And I promise that I'll let you take as long as you need to forgive me, but please give me another chance. My life has been hell without you. I need you in my life, even if it's just as friends for now." he nervously spoke really fast as he fumbled with his rings.

I sighed and looked down.

This was really hard for him, he was afraid of opening up and being rejected...

But, he hurt me and I have to stay strong.

"I'm willing to give you a chance, but just as friends. I need to build back my trust in you..." I whispered, regaining the eye contact with him.