𝐀 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐎𝐟 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬

♡♦♡

♡♦♡
.. I'M A GOOD PERSON, YOU KNOW
♡♦♡

There's a moment of comfortable silence between Edward and Harley before he opens his mouth to ask a question he's had since she told him about her crazy plan. There are a number of questions he has, truly, but this one is the one he wants the answer to the most.

"Why," he asks her from his spot in the passenger seat of his shiny Volvo. "Why are you.. saving these animals..?"

Her blue orbs flicker over to him for a split second before returning to the road, the loud sound of dogs panting and cats meowing behind her filling her ears. "I just," she starts, speaking slowly, "found it really sad, you know? To see them in their tiny, little cages an' stuff.. I know what it feels like, and, luckily, I was saved. So I thought I'd do the same for them. Maybe it'll help balance my karma or something.."

The car is silent as Edward thinks about her response.

".. I'm a good person, you know," she says suddenly, looking over at him after stopping behind a line of cars as the deck of a bridge goes up in front of them. "Is that so hard to believe?"

He smiles a smile that makes her insides turn. "Not at all.."

And she smiles back. "Plus, maybe this good li'l deed will put me back in Santa's good list," she laughs, though she sounds completely serious.

He shares her laughter, though it quickly flattens once he notices how serious she is about her statement. "You don't.. actually believe in Santa Clause, do you, Harleen?"

She just smiles at him and shrugs. "Why wouldn't I..? I know he's real, and so is his little workshop. I think it's, like, this massive building thousands of feet above the North Pole, held in the air like.. like a castle on a cloud made of magnetic waves and children's dreams"

He silently stares at her as she continues to describe her idea of Santa Clause's workshop. Her thought of it sound beautiful to him. If only it were true.. Once she finishes telling him how she thinks the magical workshop is real, he can't help but let out a laugh, and she does too.

After a few minutes, their laughter slowly simmers down, their different-colored eyes glued to one another. They catch their bodies leaning into each other, an invisible but powerful force inching them together. They get closer and closer.. so close to meeting their burning desires.

Gotham's well-known jester closes her beautiful, blue eyes and moves her small hand over his stone cheeks, their lips connecting. A little part of her always knew this would happen and that things would always turn out this way. Ever since she saw him in Belle Reve, cold and cornered up into her cage, she just knew. She takes a moment to calm herself; with her luck, she would accidentally ruin the kiss and his self-control.