𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

♡♦♡TIL THE VERY END, YOU AND I♡♦♡

♡♦♡
TIL THE VERY END, YOU AND I
♡♦♡

"He's stepping closer to the light." Edward Cullen can hear in the distance.

Aro will be pleased.

"It's time." Demetri's scent is not far off, neither are their footsteps. I was so hoping he would just leave this place for good – quit his brooding. Just another mess we have to clean up.

"We have to be sure. Aro said only if he broke the rules."

"He also said we must prevent there from being any witnesses."

"Like the girl," a calculating voice queries.

Is he hunting?

Edward looks down at Harleen, her eyes frantic with panic. She knows they are in danger — she is warning him. She came here to save me, he thinks. Alice. Of course, she would have seen this coming. Everything seems to snap into place in this single second. The thoughts, Quinn's slightly warmer skin against his cold one... It all makes sense now. He was wrong. He had been mistaken.

Now they are in danger. This is all your fault...

His icy hands gently caress her face, and he smiles. "I can't believe you came to save me."

Harleen's high-pitched laughter warms his heart. "Well, you know I'd do anything for you." Her face becomes a little serious then. "But, Puddin', we need to go now before the Volti —"

He doesn't let her finish her sentence. The Volturi are already here. Reminding himself to be gentle, he pulls her from the light she deserves to live in and places her against a wall, lined with shadows. Her heart beats profoundly in her chest as he places himself in front of her, his arms spreading out to protect her – her vampire shield.

The guards will have to go through him before they ever lay a finger on her. He acknowledges that he has caused enough damage. Something deep inside him awakes and the monster emerges, angrier than ever. This won't be the end. She's alive...

In the darkness of the alley are Felix and Demetri, their long cloaks whispering across the stone ground.

It has been too long since we have had a good fight, Felix notes dryly.

Harleen glances over, also. She tenses for action and the two in the alley only take in the scene with curiosity. And even in this moment of terror for Edward, it is the same. He is the same. His natural scent of no other swirls around her, her pulse throbbing profusely at the smell, and her thoughts a ball of chaos, as always. And although she wants to just grab her Puddin' and run, she knows that she cannot.