July 1997

First of all, thank you very much that you're interested in this story! It means quite a lot to me that people would actually want to read my stuff.
Second, I want to say, that I changed a lot of things in Stevie's and Lindsey's history. Many dates might have been changed and even some things and events are completely different than it actually was. It's after all fanfiction and I wanted to create my own story.

It's been in my head for quite some time and I'd love to share it with you. This story might take a few chapters to get really going but this is going to be a long story, so it needs its time to develop. I hope you stay with me until the end and enjoy the storyline. If you have some suggestions or ideas, please let me know in the comments below, criticism and some nice words are welcome, as well.
Much love, Lara

---------------------------------------------------

It was early in the morning, way too early in the morning, when Stevie woke up.

She lay in her beautiful, huge King's size bed cuddled up under her blankets.
The morning sun shone lightly into her bedroom and she could hear some birds singing outside on her balcony.

She looked over at the other side of the bed where her daughter slept peacefully.

Stevie smiled. Oh, how she loved that girl.

She lay back down again and cuddled up against her daughter's back. When Sara's hand grabbed hers and hold on to it, she smiled even brighter.

"Why are you awake?", Sara whispered quietly and turned over to watch her mother curiously.

"I just woke up, I don't know.", Stevie laughed and stroked her daughter's cheek.

"That's quite unusual for you, sleepy head!", Sara returned, kissed Stevie's cheek and lay down in her mother's arms.

They stayed so for a while,

"Are you excited to see him again?", Sara asked suddenly.

"Lindsey?!"

"Yes, I mean, you haven't seen him in such a long time.."

"Honestly, I'm not excited, Sara. I'm terrified.", Stevie replied honestly.

Her daughter was one of her best friends. And they had no secrets from each other. After all, Sara was Stevie's family. A few man came in and walked out of their lives but none of them stayed.

Sara was the only one she could care for when she needed someone in her life and as time flew by and the girl grew up, things turned around and her daughter cared for her, as well.

They had never had the usual mother-daughter-relationship in which Stevie would act like a helicopter parent and try to make her daughter's life harder by forbidding her certain things or screaming at her to make her behave correctly. In fact, that had never been needed, anyways. Her daughter had always been easy going and sensible. Her grades in school were superb and she was very talented in a lot of ways.

"Why are you terrified, Mom?!", the 14-year old asked worriedly.

"Oh Sara, it's just way too complicated. You know about me and Lindsey. It's been rough!"

"But you haven't seen him in years, maybe he's changed!"

"Some things never change, Sara. But you're too young to understand that, sweetie!", she answered lovingly.

"Just try to relax. Don't freak out and take it easy when you see him, today! And when you come back tonight, you'll tell me everything, okay?!"

"I promise! Sometimes, I feel like you are the mother and I am the child, Sara!", Stevie laughed.

"I know what you mean!", Sara joked, "When do you have the meeting?"

"At 2 pm."

"Okay. Go, take a shower. I make breakfast!"

"How on earth have I managed to get such a good daughter?!"

"You've raised her well!", Sara replied laughingly and got out of the bed.

Stevie watched her daughter disappear out of the bedroom. Her dark, curly hair whipped softly with every step she took.

She got out of the bed as well, walked into the bathroom and five mintutes later, hot water washed all over her body.

After showering, she dried herself off and looked into the big mirror.

She knew she had aged gracefully. She had just turned 49 years old but she was quite satisfied with her look. She smiled at her reflection and winked at it – an old habit she had never gotten rid off and which Sara had made part of her routine, as well.

She got dressed, put on some make up, brushed her long blonde hair and dried it until it fell soft and straight down her back.

Thanks God, perms are out, she thought.

When she stood in the hallway to make her way downstairs into the kitchen she heard Sara's voice calling: "Mom? Could you please get me my purse? It's on my desk!"

"Of course!", Stevie yelled back and went into her daughter's room.

It looked beautifully in here and once more Stevie got reminded of how similar her daughter and her actually were. It wasn't enough that Sara looked completely identical how Stevie had used to look like when she was in her age, except for the ebony colored, curly wavy hair, their taste in music, style and art was also quite the same.

She looked around the turquoise colored room - candles, chains, moons and dried flowers were everywhere. She quickly found the purse on the white desk. It was open and a little 2 x 2 inch photo leapt out.

She looked at it sadly. It was the only evidence Stevie had for her daughter that her father had actually existed. Henry was an one night stand. She met him on a party after the last show of the Mirage Tour in Austin. It was a Halloween night and she had always used to love to celebrate that holiday.

They had gotten really drunk, tons of cocaine and pot had been included, as well.

A few weeks later, she had found out she was pregnant and stopped cocaine for good. She had wanted that baby. After an exhausting rehab she had wanted to contact Henry to let him know what happened bt it had been too late. After weeks of searching for him, a friend of him had told her, he had died in a motorbike accident. He had been drunk and crashed into a tree.
She had raised her daughter by herself with a lot of help by her mother Barbara because Stevie had refused to hire a nanny. She had wanted Sara to be raised by her family and not by some good payed strangers. The years had flown by and Stevie couldn't help but realize that becoming a mother had changed her life a lot, in some cases it might have even saved her from doing some pretty dangerous things.

She stroked softly over the photo and made her way out of the room.