Chapter 3- Why must everyone disrupt my reading?

I stormed down the hallway, searching for Emma frantically. I had spent the rest of the period sitting in the library reading, while Harper... I think we all know what Harper was doing.

I grimaced in disgust at the thought of him and the girl. 

Ugh.

I finally caught sight of Emma, just a glimpse of her blonde head bobbing in and out of the crowd of students, just the tip of her head appearing and disappearing. I ran after her, trying to catch her before she was out of sight, barging through crowds of students, using my elbows to push people aside. I was getting closer to her, and I thankfully saw she was alone.

I finally managed to reach out and grabbed her wrist, slowing her fast pace and making her turn to look at me, still walking forward. Her face immediately lit up with a bright smile, dimples poking into her cheeks, her chocolate brown eyes gleaming in delight, as if she was a small girl who had found a bag of candy. I did not smile in response.

"So... how was the tour?" she winked, gently nudging me, an amused expression dancing on her face. I gave her a look.

"Was it that bad?" she asked, her expression serious. I looked into her eyes, seeing the flecks of concern littered around. Looking uncomfortable under my gaze, she brought her hand up to fiddle with the necklace that lay at her throat which was shaped in a golden heart.

"Oh gods, Emma," I groaned. "It was terrible. Actually. Did you know that he's a player?"

She winced. "Oh."

"Definitely 'oh'," I shook my head. "And you should have seen me- I was acting so awkward. Then I got super angry and stalked off. It was the worst. Why did you make me do that, again?" I ended a little angrily.

"I just shipped you two." she mumbled forlornly, biting her lip.

Wait, what?

"I just thought you would be cute together, so I tried to bring you closer."

This isn't the first time it had happened. It wasn't the first time Emma tried to get me together with someone else. It usually ended in encounters gone wrong, awkward silences, and once an extremely heated yelling match. So... not good. I didn't say anything, still quite angry at Emma. We walked in tense silence, a thick cloud hanging in the air. Despite the anger that still seeped through my veins, it was mixed with guilt, a guilt so thick it washed over the anger. I mean, she's a fangirl, what else would she do?

"Are you from heaven? Because girl, you- " a blonde haired boy started, flirting with Emma. All boys flirted with Emma.

"Yes, I am from heaven, I died twenty years ago just like that pick up line." Emma expertly quoted How I Met Your Mother shouting at the boy in frustration, ignoring him and walking faster as a look of utter shock spread across his face.

I couldn't help it.

I burst out laughing.

"Oh gods," I laughed, clapping my hands like a deranged seal. "That was brilliant."

She narrowed her eyes. "You're acting strange. Should I run?"

"No, no, sorry about that." I apologised, still grinning. "Damn, I can never stay mad at you."

"Well, duh," She rolled her eyes. "I'm your best friend. You need me. I mean, what would you do without me?"

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing." I humoured her.

Hours later, I was sat in my Maths class, legs crossed up onto my chair, flipping through the book. The teacher, Mrs Cann, wasn't here yet and students were filing into the classroom, chatting and laughing. I blocked all this out, delving into my book, allowing the serenity to wash over me.

I felt a sudden flutter by my ear, surely someone's breath. Why must everyone disrupt my reading? I looked up from my book in annoyance, looking for the source.

Harper.

His hair was ruffled and messed up, bits sticking out in all directions, as if someone had taken their hand and run it through his soft, feathery hair.

Oh, of course someone did.

"Hey," he whispered. I was about to answer with some sarcastic comment before I noticed how close our faces were. I could see every speck of gold in his eyes, every eyelash that framed it. And his lips. They were plump and pink, and so close to my own. Everything faded out before I heard him cough to get my attention.

I had been staring too long. I could see it through his amused eyes, the smirk on his face. I leaned back a little, trying to distance myself from him, rolling me eyes.

I eyed him skeptically, saving the page of my book with my Divergent bookmark. "I'm surprised you found this classroom... seeing as you ditched the tour." I remarked sourly, glaring at him. He looked unfazed.

"Oh, Amanda showed me here. You know, the girl from the hallway?" He smiled, sitting in the seat at the desk behind me, his tall frame dwarfing the chair as he casually laid back. I felt the anger rise in me at the comment, my cheeks flushing. Harper noticed immediately.

"What's wrong, angel? Jealous?"

I scoffed in utter disbelief. "What, jealous of an discourteous, disesteemed neanderthal like you? I don't think so." I replied bitterly, surprised at the venom lacing through my words. I heard a chorus of collective gasps around the room. It was only then that I noticed that all eyes in the room were on us. I shrunk down in my seat a little.

"Sorry, what did you say, angel? I'm afraid I don't speak nerd. So why don't you shut up and just stop speaking to me- it's quite a blow to someone's reputation, I can imagine, speaking to you." Harper replied, smirking. That was it. The whole room burst into laughter.

It wasn't even that funny.

Laughing at me.

I felt the panic rise in me, and I quickly turned to face the front, away from Harper. I hated him.

"Who does she think she is? Talking to him like that?"

"What an inconsiderate jerk!"

"She has no chance against him."

I managed to pick up phrases from the overwhelming laughter, and they clouded my mind like a dark storm cloud, repeating themselves over in my mind. Their laughter was ringing in my ears, I couldn't get it out. Frantically, I covered my ears, trying to block out the voices, block out everything around me, block out everyone. I could feel eyes on me, the faint sound of their constant laughter slipping through my fingers and into my ears. I felt myself shaking, shuddering, as if a huge weight had been set upon my shoulders. I could feel tears brimming in my eyes as I shook my hair over my face, trying to block out the piercing eyes, looking at the soft grain of the desk. It wasn't so much the insults as it was the negative attention.

No. No. I couldn't have a panic attack here, in front of all these people. Nobody but Emma and Max knew about my social anxiety. It was already happening.

Once it started, there was no stopping it.

Tears streamed down my face freely, tracing my cheeks, falling into droplets on the desk, an impossibly tight feeling clutching at my throat. Through the chaos that raided my mind I could hear a panicked voice calling out from outside my head.

"Are you okay, angel? I'm sorry, I am so, so, sorry. Angel?" Concern was running through the voice. I shut my eyes tightly, feeling a strong arm grabbing my waist and lifting me up out of my seat, pulling me to their chest, then leading me away, out through the classroom doors. It felt like an escape.

An escape from the classroom.

An escape from the people.

An escape.

Hey guys! Sorry for this terrible update... I had so much homework but I really wanted to update... so sorry...

Hmmm Harper...

Have an amazing day and please comment your opinions! Thank you :)

-A :)