Chapter 35- Great. He's asking me for fashion advice.

Dedicated to: G0ldenpool

Realising that he liked me was not only the most shocking moment in my life, but also one of the most relieving.

I had a chance now.

We had a chance now.

We could be together.

We could love each other wholly and deeply, we could love each other fully and openly and we could be together and never have a care in the world about what else everybody thinks.

It was then, in the midst of the moment, Emma staring happily at me, my world clouded by distant chatter of the other people in the food court, that I decided I would tell him.

At the dance.

Forget Amanda, forget Bethany and her snotty little entourage, I will tell him. I don't care. If he likes me, which I was pretty sure he did, he would say yes and we could be a couple.

I don't care, I love him, and he might just love me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked that rush of confidence when I found out.

But then, at the bottom of the stairs on the day of the dance, dressed in my beautiful light pink dress, I longed for that rush.

I couldn't think straight, my mind clouded with worry, my delicately done fingernails tapping on the wood of the stairs beneath me in a hazy buzz of nervous energy, my dog Misha brushing her head against my leg.

What if- what if he doesn't like you after all?

Shut up. Just do it.

What are you going to lose if he doesn't?

My first love. My heart. My confidence.

I felt Mom wrap an arm around my shoulders, sitting down on the step beside me.

"Mom, what if he doesn't like me?" I asked quietly. "What if it turns out horrible in the end?"

She shook her head. "Believe me, Noelle. He definitely feels something for you, and if he doesn't- well, that's his loss."

I nodded and closed my eyes, fiddling with the end of my curled hair. "Mom, I love him so much," I whispered. "If he says no he'll break my heart."

"Honey, he won't," she hugged me. "What time is he picking you up?"

I glanced at the clock. "7:15. Five more minutes."

Just then, the bell rang.

I closed my eyes in anticipation, before slowly opening them. "You ready?" My mom asked. I nodded. We stood up together and headed to the door. I took in a deep breath. Slowly, fumbling on the cool metal of the doorknob, I opened the door to see Harper standing there, holding a bouquet of iris flowers.

He was standing up straight, and he had somehow managed to tame his hair and comb it to one side. He wore a white button down shirt and he had tucked it into his black tuxedo pants- all in all, he looked a modern fairytale prince.

"H- hi," I stuttered, fiddling with the fabric of my dress. Harper didn't answer- he was staring at me, his lips parted, looking me up and down.

"Noelle," he breathed. "You look absolutely gorgeous."

I grinned at him, feeling on top of the world. "You look good too."

He smiled, turning to my mom. "Hi, Ria."