Chapter 1- Black Haired Boy

a/n: read this at your own risk! i wrote this when i was 12/13/14 so it's obviously not that good. if you are up for a more mature, well written, less cliche story, then check out my new book going up "of planets and playlists". thank you!

I leaned against the cold metal of my locker, the steel pressing through my thin shirt into my back, sending shivers up my spine. I didn't notice. I clenched my teeth together sharply as my eyes scanned the words on my page of the book quickly, excitement building up inside of me as I rapidly turned the page, desperate to find out what happens next.

Tug.

I felt someone gently pulling on the ends of my red hair.

"Noelle! Noelle!"

I quickly swatted Emma's hand away, then stuck my arm out, signalling for her to wait, as I returned back to my book, the adrenaline building up in me again as I continued hungrily read the words, feeling myself being sucked back into the world of the character's again. Another sharp tug on my hair brought me back to reality.

"Noelle!"

I sighed and turned to Emma, closing my book hesitantly. Her brown eyes were bright and sparkled with happiness and she was jumping frantically up and down, her straight, blonde hair flying everywhere, as she clutched her textbooks tightly with glee. Emma was perfect. She was funny, kind, smart, and everything everyone would want. She was athletic without being considered 'sporty' and smart without being considered 'nerdy'. She could be one of the popular group easily. If it weren't for me. We had been best friends since Kindergarten, since the day some random boy tried to kiss Emma, and I punched him in the nose, giving him a nose bleed. I was considered one of the , well, to put it lightly, 'nerdy' ones. Always tucked up in the corner with a book.

Another thing about Emma; she was gorgeous. In all our years of friendship, I always felt like 'the Ugly One', despite Emma's constant attempts to convince me otherwise.

I couldn't help but smile at the cheerful expression etched into her face.

"Guess what? I got an A on my paper Art History!" She squealed excitedly, grabbing my shoulder and shaking me. "That's great!" I replied grabbing her shoulder with my hand that wasn't holding the book and shaking her just as vigorously. I was happy for her. I truly was. Art History was a subject that Emma would constantly complain to me about in long, detailed emails that would irritate me to no end.

"And guess what? Mr Collins said..."

Her voice droned out as I fiddled with my Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets keychain on the backpack I had slung over my shoulder. I had to find my Geography teacher, Ms Rosewood, to talk to her about my essay.

Suddenly, my eyes caught on something else.

Or someone else.

There was a boy with black hair, standing across the hallway from me, talking to Max, Emma's boyfriend. I glanced at him from the corner of my eyes while pretending to still be listening to Emma- there was something certain about the way he stood, he held himself that didn't let me draw my wandering eyes away. All of the world seemed to have been blocked out, Emma's ranting, the voices of the other students, the constant patter of footsteps, the way it happened when I was reading.

"Noelle! Noelle! Are you even listening to me? Hello?"

I quickly snapped my attention back to Emma, who was waving her hand in my face impatiently, and laughing playfully at my startled expression. "Oh, um, yeah... what about Mr Collins?" I mumbled, fiddling absentmindedly with the hem of my sweater, as I stole another quick glance at Black-Haired Boy who was still talking to Max.

"Never mind," she sighed grabbing her textbooks that she had put in my locker. The sudden movement knocked my arm, causing my rather big book to be sent tumbling to the floor, landing with a large slam. All went quiet and the loud noise, conversations of the student halted as I was sent looks of questioning eyes, the deafening silence ringing through the air. "Sorry," I mumbled, horrified, leaning down and gathering my book.

Oh gods.

From the hushed murmurs rising from the other students, I heard statements on my clumsiness. I tried to ignore the chatter and stood up again, grasping my book tightly. This situation- though appearing mild to others rung through me endlessly, panic rising in the back of my throat.

I hated it. My stupid social anxiety. I looked back at Emma, as I raised my head from looking at the floor. "I'm so sorry," She mumbled, sheepishly looking at the ground. She knew about my social anxiety. She knew from the beginning, she knew what it did to me.

"It's okay," I reassured her, desperately wanting to sink into the ground under the gazes surrounding me. Her phone started ringing, and she motioned to me to wait and turned around, speaking quietly into her phone. I opened my book, trying to read again, but found myself glancing back quickly at Black-Haired Boy, just to see his reaction of the whole fiasco.

He was staring at me.

I quickly flitted my eyes back to my book, trying to hide my face behind a shield of my red hair, as a blush flamed on my cheeks.

Stop it! I scolded myself.

Why are you acting so scared? Grow up, it's just one person!

I cautiously set my gaze back to Black-Haired Boy, who was now smiling at me, the right side quirked up more than the left. I narrowed my eyes at him,

Why is he still staring?

This time I held the gaze. His eyes were a deep, mesmerising green, so different and enchanting, unlike my boring hazel eyes. He looked like he just came out of a book. Messy black hair, beautiful eyes that I was falling into. Will Herondale Style.

No, shut up! You don't know him!

I directed my eyes away from him, settling on the large group of girls giggling and whispering, occasionally looking at him lustfully. Okay, ew. They were still vainly trying to catch his gaze. His gaze that was still set on me.

Max finally noticed that Black-Haired Boy was no longer listening to what must have been a very interesting speech due to his constant use of overly complicated hand gestures, and followed his line of sight to me.

No!

Please don't come over. For the love of god, please-

Max grinned and dropped his hands quickly before grabbing Black-Haired Boy's wrist and dragging him towards Emma and I.

My first story and first chapter! I'm so excited to see where this story will go :) Please comment what you think, like it, and constructive criticism is appreciated! Thank you :)

-A :)

UPDATE: KAY I WROTE THIS AGES AGO AND THE FIRST FEW CHAPTERS ARE HELLA CRINGY SO YOU MIGHT HAVE TO BEAR WITH ME