Chapter 39- I swear, she's a banshee.

Dedicated to: BeatsOfAngelzs

When I got home that fateful day, I was greeted by my Mom.

"Hello, darling!" She chirped. However rude it was, I couldn't bring myself to say anything, just slipping past her, my argument with Harper the only thing that was flooding my mind. With a sigh, and no doubt a confused look from my mom, I sat down on the sofa in the living room, setting my head in my hands.

"Oh, no," She mumbled. I felt the spot beside me dip on the couch, then an arm around my shoulders. "Sweetie, what happened?"

"Harper happened." I groaned, leaning back on the cushions. "Mom, he's a complete jerk."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "What on earth did he do that got you so worked up like this?"

"He's dating someone." I grumbled, the words itself stabbing me in the heart.

Silence.

"What?" Mom shrieked. "But- what about- but- " She took a deep breath. "What about Harpelle?"

I huffed, playing with the end of my hair, the space where my heart was- feeling very, very empty. "That ship sank."

"Oh, sweetie," My mom stroked my hair. "You were in love with him, weren't you?"

I nodded slowly, refusing to let the tears fall. If I was going to be strong at all, it better be in front of my mom, who was undoubtedly the strongest person I knew.

Just a month after I was born, my father had left us, not hesitating to file the divorce, because he claimed a baby was too much work. My mom was left heartbroken, the burden of a child upon her shoulders. She raised me well, and then five and a half years ago, my mother and father decided to meet up. They did, and things went out of control- thus, Lana was born. But, once again, as soon as Mom found out she was pregnant, he left. Again.

I was outraged. But I was only twelve- there was nothing I could do but help my mom get over him. He tried to contact us again, but I didn't let him come back.

My mom was heartbroken twice and she was still here, stronger than ever.

This was why I wasn't going to cry over some teenage heartbreak.

Too late.

At least, not in front of her.

"Do you want me to bring out my guns? They're a bit rusty, but eh, they'll do fine." She joked.

I cracked out a small smile. "I think I can hurt him myself if I ever have to." I recalled how I slapped him today.

She grinned. "I can pipe in, too. I'm sure Lana will be absolutely thrilled to have something other than a microwave and a tablecloth to set fire to."

I let out a weak laugh. "Thanks, Mom- "

The doorbell rang, the shrill sound piercing the silence of the house.

"Wait here," Mom said, giving me a look. I nodded, watching as she approached the door, flinging it open.

I held my breath.

There, standing behind the door, was Harper in his full glory. However, his hair was mussed up even more than usual and his coat in the freezing weather was non existent, his nose and cheeks rose pink from the cold- his black Ray-Ban glasses set on his nose.

No. I'm not ready for this. I can't see him now. I'll just cry again.

He can see me so easily from there. I hope he doesn't.