Chapter 18- Hospitals and flaming microwaves

Dedicated to: ria7727

I was laughing and talking with Max and Emma as we headed to his car. It had been a few hours since Harper left- it was 8:30- and to be honest, after the first five minutes of frantic texting, being away from Harper was a bit of a break. It was a good calm down from my ever-raging heart.

"So... The Book Thief." Emma began, spreading her hands out. I groaned, as did Max.

"I hated that book."

Emma gasped. "How could you? It's the best book ever!"

I shook my head.

Emma sighed. "Fine, you don't like it, but- "

"Yo, Noelle!"

I spun around to locate the voice. Joshua was jogging towards me, his blonde hair flying in the wind. I stopped, glancing at Emma and Max who merely shrugged.

"Yes?" I asked cautiously. I waited as Joshua reached me, not even breaking a sweat after running here. He nervously ran his hand through his hair.

"I was wondering if you maybe... wanted a ride home?"

I softened a little bit, surprised.

He wants to drive me home?

That's sweet.

Impossibly sweet.

I looked back at Max, who gave me the 'go ahead' look. I considered it. No doubt it would be extremely awkward, but he looked so hopeful, I didn't want to say no.

"Sure," I stuttered. He smiled. "That's great."

He started walking down the path to the car park, leaving me behind. I looked at Emma and Max who were still standing there, confused, and Emma mouthed a 'no' to me. I shrugged at her and followed behind Joshua.

He was many paces ahead of me, him walking first and having longer legs than me so I had to jog to catch up. Once I was side by side with him, I gathered my courage and spoke.

"So... why the sudden decision to give me a ride home?"

Joshua chuckled. "Not so sudden. I've been wanting to give you a ride home for days."

I smiled, flattered. "Seriously, though."

"I don't know... I like you, I guess. I mean, as a friend. I want to get to know you. You're not like the other girls, you know? You're different."

I smiled, looking up at him. "How incredibly cliché," I stated. He grinned, and I suddenly found myself wondering how on earth Harper could hate him.

We were nearing the carpark now. How could the two miles have gone by so fast?

Joshua began walking to a red car in the corner, and I followed him. To my surprise, there was a silhouette of a figure leaning on the car, smoking. I expected Joshua to shoo the random guy off, but he didn't.

"Hey, Alfie," he muttered, opening the shot gun seat for me, and gesturing me to sit down. I just stood.

Oh.

Alfie got off the car, approaching me. He stopped when he saw me, smirking slightly. "Noelle, right? Harper's girl?"

I blushed. "I'm not Harper's girl."

"Righhhtttt... " he dragged out, nearing me. I flinched and he noticed, but he didn't seem at all hurt. He was so close I could smell the smoke and alcohol on him. He raised an eyebrow. "Don't worry, babe, I'm not trying to seduce you or anything, if that's what you thought. Just trying to get Andrews all pissed off."