Steve | The Lift

"Thank you for your time. We'll contact you within two weeks if you have the job," the woman you've gotten to know as Lucy, tells you. You shake her hand and you stand up.

"Thank you," you say, taking your bag and leaving, shutting the door behind you. Well. That was terrifying.

You're sweating yet your hands are cold. It's over now. What's done is done.

You press the button to the lift, seeing all the other candidates. One of them has a Harvard bag. Ah crap.

You turn your attention back to the lift. You don't want to think negative thoughts and get all stressed about whether or not Lucy liked you. You decide she did, and part with that.

You go into the lift and immediately press 'G'. The doors begin to close when you hear, "Hold the door! Hold the door!"

You instinctively press the button to open them. A man in a baseball cap and black nerd glasses runs in, panting. "Hey. Thanks."

You smile. "No problem."

You both stand in the lift awkwardly. You're kind of waiting for him to say something. He smiles at you and you smile back. Can it get any more awkward?

The lift suddenly stops, jerking you. You grab onto the rail. "What's happening?" you ask.

"Keep calm, there's just been a minor problem with the lift. Don't worry, just stay calm, you'll be out soon," the operator says. You sigh and sit down. This day is just getting worse.

The guy sits opposite to you. "Hi. I'm Steve."

You smile. "(Y/N)."

"Do you work here? I've never seen you around before."

"I just went for my interview, actually."

"Oh cool. Who interviewed you?"

"I don't know. A woman named Lucy."

"Oh. Black hair in a bob? A little scary looking?"

You giggle. "Yeah. That one."

"I'll put in a good word for you."

You smile. "Thanks... So I'm guessing you work here?"

He nods. "Yep."

"What position?"

He shrugs. "I'm a uh... A field agent."

You nod. "That's cool."

He shrugs again. "It has it's good days, and it's bad days. Being blown up isn't that fun."

Your eyes widen. "Wow. So that's what you get to do?"

"Get blown up?"

"Yeah."

He laughs. "Again, it's not really that fun."

You smile. He makes you smile a lot. He's a pretty chill guy, you decide. "So, Steve... We're going to be stuck here a while..." He laughs.

"Yep."

And it's awkward again.

You feel another jerk and the lift springs back into motion. Thank god. You would've died from the awkwardness.

You stand up. Steve's glasses have ended up on the floor and you pick them up for him, getting a close look at him before the doors open. He looks familiar. Where've you seen that face before?

"Hey, Steve?" you ask.

"Yes?"

"This is going to sound so stupid, but you look really familiar. Have we met before?"

"Uh... No. I don't think so."

You frown. It's his eyes. It's got to be his eyes. "Have you been in a SHIELD commercial or something?"

He chuckles. "No."

The doors almost shut but you stick your hand out, stopping them. "Well... See you, Steve."

He smiles. "Yeah. See you around."

That brings a smile to your lips. He might actually put in a good word for you. Who knows?

You step out of the lift, still trying to figure out where you've seen him from. You think for a little. Wait. Steve. Steve Rogers. Oh my god. That took a long time. You face palm. You just talked to Captain America and you didn't get an autograph. As you turn around, the lift doors shut in your face.

------------

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Has anyone noticed my ridiculous hours for posting? Like what even. I'm going to die when I get back to school. Fun fact, last night I went to bed at 6AM. THAT'S RIGHT. SIX IN THE MORNING. What's the latest time you've gone to sleep? Mine's 8am. I know. I'm slightly crazy, and I'm slightly nocturnal. Anyways... :)